RIU hotels - loyalty card

Options
NoodleDoodleMan
NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,370 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Does anybody else have the RIU Class loyalty card ?
We took one out many years ago after a holiday at a newly opened hotel on Tenerife but never stayed at any other in the chain until more recently.
I find it tricky to understand the practical aspects after gaining points - just curious to know if I'm alone in my ignorance, or just simply a dumbass  :D ?

Comments

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We signed up and joined prior to staying at a RUI in Sri Lanka this past November.

The stay was part of a tour package so we didn’t benefit from a discounted rate, but did receive benefits during our stay. They kindly upgraded our room to a full sea view. Also had priority booking into a’al carte restaurants and preferred tables in the main buffet restaurant.  I think we were very lucky as have no status with RUI. We felt benefit from the extras but I suspect these are specific to hotel rather than a set standard across all RUI hotels.

The main membership value seems to be -10% off direct rates.  You may however find buying a TUI package still works out cheaper.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    edited 21 March at 5:00PM
    Options
    Interesting, thanks.
    I think they'll upgrade you if there is a better room available on the day you arrive - on our first visit to the Costa del Sol hotel we like it was a big room with large balcony.
    If you request a specific room by its number they'll try and oblige if possible.
    On our third and most recent visit we received a 17.5% discount on our room tab - we have an early morning departure I always settle up the night before.
    The recepionist appeared a bit surprised that I was unaware of this benefit - I just said thanks and left it at that.
    On checking our card status it had  a 700 point deduction which I correctly assumed was for the bar bill reduction - however there was a 770 point addition soon after which I could not understand.
    Anyway, cut to the chase, I eventually got a response that this was for a special promotion for stays in that hotel over the time we were there.
    Now we've also been advised that we will be raised to their next (Gold) grade status for our forthcoming stay due to the points gained as a result of our forthcoming next stay.
    We book with TUI as they include transfers from Malaga, otherwise a DIY deal would require a taxi which is quite a costly extra - and like you I'm not convinced it would be cheaper booking direct with separate flights and transfers.
    Bottom line - it's a nice little earner if you a regular RUI client.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Incidentally, I looked around for some of the other Spanish RIU hotels online - just to see if any be suitable for change of venue.
    There are several in the bay of Palma area, however a trawl through TripAdvisor comments indicated that these attracted Germans mainly, as I suspected may be the case.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback