Best savings account

Options
I'm a santander customer. I'm saving up to do further renovations (new CH, upgrading electrics, kitchen etc.) - the money isn't earning much interest. Their cash isa doesn't give a high interest and I don't want to get a fixed rate bond etc, in case I need quick access to the money. The amount is around 30k split between 3 banks. I also get interest from shares in the amount of around £500 each year. I was thinking of applying for the edge up current account and transferring 25k there but the shares interest + savings interest would go over £1k. I do a self assessment each year so declare all interest.
Is there a santander account that would be best for interest + easy access? How easy are cash isa's to set up (with other banks)? I've got a santander stocks and shares isa but haven't put anything into it since 2021.

Comments

• amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I’ve got a virgin money ISA paying 5.25% - which I found quick and easy to set up online (including opening a current account first). Or Moneybox have a decent rate on their cash ISA at the moment too, also fairly easy to open online (with a smartphone app)
  • PoGee
    PoGee Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks Amanda1024, I'll check out the virgin money one. I've been with virgin media for a good few years and found them ok to deal with. Do you know if the virgin money call centres are UK based?
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    Options
     I've got a santander stocks and shares isa but haven't put anything into it since 2021.

S&S Isa's are only really suitable for the long term. Not for savings up for home renovations etc .

• Bridlington1
    Bridlington1 Posts: 2,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 21 March at 2:12PM
    Options
    First of all I wouldn't bother with the Santander Edge Up account. The interest rate is only 3.5%, which is pretty poor compared to other easy access accounts (several pay over 5%). If you're going to upgrade your Santander account you'd be better off going for the Santander Edge current account which still gives you the cashback on bills etc but also gives you access to the Santander Edge Saver which pays 7% on balances of £4k or less.

A few links that would probably be of use (remember to click rate order when using these links):
    For a list of the top easy access accounts see:
    https://moneyfactscompare.co.uk/savings-accounts/easy-access-savings-accounts/?quick-links-first=false

For a list of the top easy access cash ISAs see:
    https://moneyfactscompare.co.uk/isa/easy-access-cash-isas/?quick-links-first=false

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You haven't used your ISA allowance this year.

Check out flexible ISA

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/flexible-isas/

You could contribute £20,000 now and  up to £20,000 from 6 April.
  • allegro120
    allegro120 Posts: 866 Forumite
    edited 21 March at 5:15PM
    Options
    PoGee said:
    Thanks Amanda1024, I'll check out the virgin money one. I've been with virgin media for a good few years and found them ok to deal with. Do you know if the virgin money call centres are UK based?
    Virgin fixed rate ISA issue 11 (5.25%) is the best cash ISA deal at he moment. One thing to bear in mind - You'll be charged 60 days' interest on the amount taken out during the fixed term (the same charge applies to closure). 

I've been calling Virgin Money a few times in the past 4 years and three times today, by the sound of it call centres are UK based.  Also the calls are answered very quickly.
  • allegro120
    allegro120 Posts: 866 Forumite
    Options
    soulsaver said:
    PoGee said:
    Virgin fixed rate ISA issue 11 (5.52%) is the best cash ISA deal at he moment. One thing to bear in mind - You'll be charged 60 days' interest on the amount taken out during the fixed term (the same charge applies to closure). 

I've been calling Virgin Money a few times in the past 4 years and three times today, by the sound of it call centres are UK based.  Also the calls are answered very quickly.
    Typo : 5.25% - sorry to correct, but don't want to get hopes up...
    Thank you for spotting this and correcting! I've edited the OP now.
  • Catbells
    Catbells Posts: 859 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Im interested in this too.  Is it for one or two years?  Can I add to it after April 4th if I open it now with £5000? 
  • Catbells
    Catbells Posts: 859 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just read that you need to have an account with Virgin to get this ISA.  I have an ISA with YBS - but I;m guessing this doesn't count as an account?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Catbells said:
    I just read that you need to have an account with Virgin to get this ISA.  I have an ISA with YBS - but I;m guessing this doesn't count as an account?
    No, there's no connection between YBS and Virgin.

Virgin Money does encompass Yorkshire Bank though....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback