Martins Recommendation for EDF new i year fix not 18% cheaper

Options
otb666
otb666 Posts: 719 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hey I was caught out as the prices change 1/4 so its actually 7% cheaper than my current SP variable tariff.  It is most probably me but very confusing.  As prices due to do down in July by 13% and then up 4% in october could potentially be paying 2% more overall.  So not such a good deal as I thought.  Although i have decided to continue with switch as easier to budget But thought it was very confusing personally
35k savings no debt

Comments

• PeterGr
    PeterGr Posts: 267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In latest weekly email it says "It's the first for a time that hits our 'it's worth fixing' level, as it matches how much it's predicted you'd pay if you stuck on the Price Cap over the next year, but has the benefit of price certainty."

Which is the same conclusion as you have come to.
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,095 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 21 March at 1:32PM
    Options
    otb666 said:
    Hey I was caught out as the prices change 1/4 so its actually 7% cheaper than my current SP variable tariff.  It is most probably me but very confusing.  As prices due to do down in July by 13% and then up 4% in october could potentially be paying 2% more overall.  So not such a good deal as I thought.  Although i have decided to continue with switch as easier to budget But thought it was very confusing personally
    % figures quoted relate to so called typical average consumption, can subsequently change to another EDF fixed tariff without exit fees should cheaper fix be launched.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    PeterGr said:
    In latest weekly email it says "It's the first for a time that hits our 'it's worth fixing' level, as it matches how much it's predicted you'd pay if you stuck on the Price Cap over the next year, but has the benefit of price certainty."

Which is the same conclusion as you have come to.
    But worth remembering that MSE has missed other good deals and you don't get a consistent commentary out of them.  They also don't include regional differences when a certain region may have a standout rate.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • otb666
    otb666 Posts: 719 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes I like to work it out myself as remember 2 years ago MSE saying dont fix and then they went up Luckily i had decided to fix Ignoring Martins advice and did not have to worry about the following increases.
    35k savings no debt
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure