Replay Jeans Website - Hidden Duty and Tax Charges

Options
Looking for some advice to understand if I have any comeback with the replayjeans website.  I purchased three pairs of jeans online and during checkout process and on the email confirmation - delivery was free of charge.  Paid for on my credit card, however, I then received an email from Fedex advising me I had duty to pay on my purchase of £138.37 - seemingly no option to cancel and no response from Replay Jeans.  We have gone into the shop but been advised they are different entities.  If I'd known the order was subject to additional charges I would never have made the purchase.
Do I have any options to complain/reclaim?
Thank you

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What is the website? It would appear not to located in the UK.   
  • Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Can you share the website you bought from? They may not be based in the UK so you could be liable for import taxes. 
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,751 Forumite
    edited 20 March at 12:34PM
    Options
    There is a box to tick when you pay for terms and conditions.  In those terms and conditions it ells you there that you are liable for any taxes and customs duty on the delivery.
    Now we are outside the EU this applies. Sending the items back does not get you the duty paid back either.

The website is UK based but the items are shipped from Italy. Sadly these days you have to scrutinise everything before ticking the box saying you have read the T+Cs.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    swingaloo said:
    There is a box to tick when you pay for terms and conditions.  In those terms and conditions it ells you there that you are liable for any taxes and customs duty on the delivery.
    Now we are outside the EU this applies. Sending the items back does not get you the duty paid back either.

The website is UK based but the items are shipped from Italy. Sadly these days you have to scrutinise everything before ticking the box saying you have read the T+Cs.
    Where are you getting that from? 
    As .com site (not that it means much)

ONLINE SHOPPING SUPPORT

For help with issue related to purchases and/or services provided by the website:

INTERNATIONAL

+39 02 3626 4445 
    Mon-Fri: 9:00-18:00 (GMT +1)
    Our online shopping support is closed on all national holidays in Italy.

https://www.replayjeans.com/gb/terms-of-sale/

See section 5.

Sadly no comeback for OP. 

Life in the slow lane
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 20 March at 1:01PM
    Options
    Unfortunately this is the consequences of clicking the button to say you agree to the terms without reading them... their terms clearly state prices dont include taxes for those outside of the EU, which you are being in the UK. FedEx have a legal obligation to collect the taxes and are entitled to charge a fee for having done so. 

If you look at their returns terms as well it's sending things to Italy, similarly their contact telephone number is Italian so a fair few pointers that its not a UK company 

In principle they will have been sold without Italian VAT (22%) so with UK VAT (20%) and Duty (2.5%) it'll more or less wash its face other than for the Fedex fee
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    Options
    If you buy goods from outside the UK they are subject to import duties and taxes.  It is not a hidden charge and neither does not originate from the seller.  The charge comes from UK Customs.  
  • Maccagreen
    Maccagreen Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies - super helpful.  I do think that Replay Jeans should be more transparent that since I'm purchasing from the UK (which they must know because all the prices are in sterling that I will be liable for import taxes).
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,331 Forumite
    edited 22 March at 6:12PM
    Options
    yes I empathize with you - without wanting to generalise too much it does seem that many websites are offering products with a tempting price without mentioning that they are shipped from abroad - or at least burying this information so that it is not easily found
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    Options
    Reject the goods, raise a charge back via your bank. Costs the vendor a little extra to send the items DDP so you don't have to pay the duty and import vat.
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Options
    Reject the goods, raise a charge back via your bank. Costs the vendor a little extra to send the items DDP so you don't have to pay the duty and import vat.

On what basis could the OP reject the goods and request a chargeback?  In Section 5 of their T&Cs, it clearly states:

"In the event of deliveries outside the EU, Customs duties may apply. Customs duties will not be included in the Purchase price and they will be borne by the Customer in their entirety. 

The Seller cannot provide any information or advice as regards the amount of Customs duties, if any, applicable to deliveries outside the EU, as it is difficult to predetermine the amount of Customs duties on each shipment. 

All non-EU Customers are invited to contact their local Customs office for further information before placing any Order. 

Customers understand that the application of Customs duties does not represent a valid cause to terminate the Sales contract between the Customer and the Seller."

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback