Will CA cancel off UC?

Options
Hi,

I've recently applied for Carer's Allowance and waiting to hear back. I have informed UC that I am now caring and have been since January (backdated claim). I had to agree to new commitments (nothing was different) and they've continued to pay me? I assumed my claim would be cancelled as we are receiving around £30 per month and CA is a lot more. 

I'm now reading something about a carers element on my UC claim? Will this happen as I assumed CA will cancel off UC due to the CA being a lot more money per week. 

Thank you for any help! 

Comments

• Yamor
    Yamor Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 March at 11:11AM
    Options
    Yes, there is a Carer Element, but the difference between it and Carer's Allowance is more than £30/month, so if your current UC entitlement is lower than £30/month, then the CA entitlement would still end your UC award.

The reason they have not ended the UC yet is presumably because the CA has not yet been awarded. Once it is awarded, and backdated, UC will want the overpayment back. Unfortunately, they do not normally agree to set it off against the arrears of CA which will be paid to you, but at least you will have those arrears to pay back the UC overpayment (which by definition cannot be greater than the amount of the CA arrears).
  • JHCH0503
    JHCH0503 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yamor said:
    Yes, there is a Carer Element, but the difference between it and Carer's Allowance is more than £30/month, so if your current UC entitlement is lower than £30/month, then the CA entitlement would still end your UC award.

The reason they have not ended the UC yet is presumably because the CA has not yet been awarded. Once it is awarded, and backdated, UC will want the overpayment back. Unfortunately, they do not normally agree to set it off against the arrears of CA which will be paid to you, but at least you will have those arrears to pay back the UC overpayment (which by definition cannot be greater than the amount of the CA arrears).
    This is the answer I was hoping for, thank you Yamor!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback