Working Tax Credits migration to UC, TC payments stopped early.

Options
horsecart
horsecart Posts: 8 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 20 March at 10:15AM in Benefits & tax credits
Like everyone on Working Tax Credits I was told to move to UC by the end of this month or lose out. I did all of the 'paperwork' online at the start of the month to get the process started. Well my Tax Credit payments immediately stopped and it's been 2 weeks now since receiving them.
I got paperwork through the post for my final assessment, but it did not mention any back payment for these last payments as I transition to UC. This will end up being 3 or 4 payments missed.
Will these payments be sent to me or did they just not think that people still need to live during this transition?

Comments

• Yamor
    Yamor Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tax credits end the moment you claim UC.

Due to the design of UC, you will only get your first payment of benefit a month plus a week after you claim it. For this reason they have made it very simple to claim an advance from UC, which can be repaid over 24 months out of your ongoing UC payments. You can request the advance on your online account.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you mean you made the claim for UC online then your tax credits would have ceased from that time.  It takes five weeks from that point for your first payment to become due/paid.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When you clicked submit for UC you would have had a warning message saying that your Tax credits would end if you proceed any further. 

You can request an advance payment for UC but this will need to be repaid back and your future payments will be reduced. 
  • Anna1622
    Anna1622 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had exactly the same but when I checked UC payment it is £0.
    So I'm not sure why I needed to have claimed UC if I'm getting no payment.
  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 22 March at 2:46PM
    Options
    Anna1622 said:
    I had exactly the same but when I checked UC payment it is £0.
    So I'm not sure why I needed to have claimed UC if I'm getting no payment.

If you are still in your first month of UC then give it time to settle, give it till the end of that first month.
    Things do change in the first month as they work out your entitlement and payment due.
    All your entitlement(s) may not have been calculated and added yet, sometimes things will change from day to day in that first month.
    When I moved myself from ESA to UC 15 months ago at first it showed zero payment,
    then after my Claimant Commitment meeting it showed the Standard Allowance,
    then later a LCW Element was added, (Transferred over from ESA),
    then later still a Housing Element was added.
    So the payment due kept changing in that first month, but it was all calculated and added by the end of the first month and the first payment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback