Oh Barclays! How Far You Have Fallen! Another Ex-Pat Penniless!

Options
I have just found your articles concerning the problem Barclays has caused for ex-pats and their refusal to pay back the money they have frozen and witheld.

I am also going through the same infuriating treatment and just now got through yet another upsetting phone call with some staff member who again refused to give his full name for reference.
This makes it all so much more suspicious and illegal seeming.

I am in Japan and have filled in everything I should need and submitted to them several times and made expensive phonecalls but still they are delaying matters and creating more excuses.

It is shocking to me how far such a once respectable Bank has fallen.

I saw an article in The Guardian in the consumer help section and wrote to them.
They got back some money for ex-pats.
Has anyone tried this?

Christmas 2023 was when it all went to Hell for me and I am still without my hard-earned dosh!

I wonder if anyone can help me?

Comments

• lon_don
    lon_don Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What exactly did Barclays do ? What account do you hold with them ?
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Why is it an expensive call? There is an international freephone number for their Global Customers. 

Or have you pretended to be a UK customer and are with Barclays UK rather than Barclays International and so the problem presents itself that the UK bank doesn't have a Japanese banking license. Even still you could sign up for a free VOIP account and use one of the many available UK freephone numbers to call the UK company. 
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just found your articles concerning the problem Barclays has caused for ex-pats and their refusal to pay back the money they have frozen and witheld.

I am also going through the same infuriating treatment and just now got through yet another upsetting phone call with some staff member who again refused to give his full name for reference.
    This makes it all so much more suspicious and illegal seeming.

I am in Japan and have filled in everything I should need and submitted to them several times and made expensive phonecalls but still they are delaying matters and creating more excuses.

It is shocking to me how far such a once respectable Bank has fallen.

I saw an article in The Guardian in the consumer help section and wrote to them.
    They got back some money for ex-pats.
    Has anyone tried this?

Christmas 2023 was when it all went to Hell for me and I am still without my hard-earned dosh!

I wonder if anyone can help me?

Barclays are not acting any differently to any other bank.

Are you operating the account you held in line with the terms and conditions for that bank account?
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    it sounds to me on reading the post that the OP is not complaining about the bank account being closed per se but about the difficulty of getting the balance once it is closed
  • FredTrump
    FredTrump Posts: 383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Are emigrants legally entitled to retain UK banking facilities?
    If so, I've missed that one.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    FredTrump said:
    Are emigrants legally entitled to retain UK banking facilities?
    If so, I've missed that one.
    There's no law against it as such, but there are a variety of regulations, both in the UK and elsewhere, that discourage UK banks from doing so, because of the cost and complexity.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback