We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Possible efflorescence?

Options
gadget88
gadget88 Posts: 206 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited 20 March at 1:38AM in Gardening
I got some slabs cut but left with white marks that were not there. Swapped one over from my back garden. Is it efflorescence not keen to jet wash these how long would weathering take to remove the white off the slab? Can anybody confirm if it’s efflorescence? There’s also some green from the garden trees at back will this wash out? The one at side went white just from cutting the other slab? ?

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    it isn't effloresence. You probbly rubbed it or steadied it there when cutting, did you kneel on it? and rubbed off some of the dirt. Or it's dust.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • gadget88
    Options
    -taff said:
    it isn't effloresence. You probbly rubbed it or steadied it there when cutting, did you kneel on it? and rubbed off some of the dirt. Or it's dust.
    It was a workman who done it so I wasn’t able to check. Could be dust but it was done two days ago. The long slab next to it is original and has white on it too? I think they used some sort of saw for it. Whats chances of it cleaning up?
  • gadget88
    Options
    This was it right after the cut. I washed a cup of water on it. 
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The light colour is the natural colour the darker colour is a build up of dirt and lichens. Over time the light coloured bit will go the same way.
  • gadget88
    Options
    Yes so the white cuts maybe dust as the slab was not white before the cut. How long would it take for white to vanish years or would it go within six months? 
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pressure wash the lot and you'll never notice.
  • gadget88
    edited 20 March at 6:51PM
    Options
    Pressure wash the lot and you'll never notice.
    Yes only issue is I have a shared slab open plan half and half so it won’t match. Half would be done so would look newer. 
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,566 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Then let the other sharer do their half if they wish.
    The more I see the more I realise that it's general not cleaning, just whatever the rain brings down, that has the colour and where it's been touched or worn is the natural one.
    The step is the same. It's just an accumulation.
    Pressure wash or use a wet and forget chemical which will keep them clean for the best part of a year or more.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• gadget88
    Options
    twopenny said:
    Then let the other sharer do their half if they wish.
    The more I see the more I realise that it's general not cleaning, just whatever the rain brings down, that has the colour and where it's been touched or worn is the natural one.
    The step is the same. It's just an accumulation.
    Pressure wash or use a wet and forget chemical which will keep them clean for the best part of a year or more.
    Yes I mean I am undecided whether to try anything else or let it weather in but not sure how long until the white goes? A new driveway costs around 3 grand. Any new slabs or power washing won’t match up. 
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    Why not talk to whoever owns the other half and say you're thinking of pressure washing - do they mind if you do their side at the same time as otherwise it'll bother you... as long as you're not asking them to chip into the cost I don't see why they'd say no. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback