Holiday cancellation and pre-existing medical condition

Options
Holiday booked for 19th May.
Annual travel insurance policy ends on 5th May.
One of the passengers was recently admitted to hospital for a pre-existing heart condition and cannot travel.

The answer is most likely NO, but just to be certain: is is possible to claim on the insurance for Cancellation?
Also I believe it's impossible to renew policy and claim. Correct?

Thank you.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As long as the pre-existing condition was declared, I don’t see why you wouldn’t be covered for the cancellation. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • CYPER
    CYPER Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    elsien said:
    As long as the pre-existing condition was declared, I don’t see why you wouldn’t be covered for the cancellation. 
    My thinking is because the holiday is after the policy expires. Am I wrong in thinking that?
  • elsien
    Options
    With an annual policy you’re covered for cancellation from when the holiday is booked if the insurance is already in place. That’s my understanding anyway.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The claim should be made now. 
  • CYPER
    edited 19 March at 11:48PM
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    The claim should be made now. 
    I just submitted the claim. It asked for documents from hospital, but the person is still in hospital, so I uploaded a word file with the text: These will be provided when patient is discharged from the hospital.

Also cancelled the holiday with Jet2 and got a 70% refund, so based my insurance claim on the 30%

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Presumably the passenger is insured under your policy? The impersonal description (rather than father/daughter etc) suggests they may be remote and so not under your annual policy. 
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Some policies do cover 'travelling companions' not just those on your policy.
  • CYPER
    Options
    Presumably the passenger is insured under your policy? The impersonal description (rather than father/daughter etc) suggests they may be remote and so not under your annual policy. 
    No, I am not part of the policy. It's my parents. Annual European travel insurance for a couple with pre-existing condition included in the policy.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    TELLIT01 said:
    Some policies do cover 'travelling companions' not just those on your policy.
    Most will cover travelling companions but cover for their pre-existing conditions is limited at best, not come across any that give you the ability to declare conditions of anyone not to be directly insured by the policy. Its one of the benefits of buying a group policy -v- relying on each person/couple having their own

CYPER said:
    No, I am not part of the policy. It's my parents. Annual European travel insurance for a couple with pre-existing condition included in the policy.
    That doesn't make the whole situation any clearer and not feeling like trying to get blood from a stone. Assuming the condition was declared and accepted those covered by that policy should be fine. Anyone travelling on a different policy is on thinner ice. 
  • elsien
    Options
    Just to clear up any points of confusion.
    Who was travelling? Who is now not going? And who is named on the policy that is being claimed on. 
    Just because it sounds like the policy is your parents, they are the ones not going, but you have put in the claim? 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback