Moving from EDF for Electricity only??

Options
Buster_Danog
Buster_Danog Posts: 703 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Currently on an an EDF tariff called "Deemed" which is a Unit rate 29.8p/kWh and
Standing charge 42.260p/day. EDF are recommending that I could save money by Switching to "EDF Essentials 1Yr Feb25v3". I am using Electricity only of about 2,600 units per year.

I am keen to get away from EDF and would be open to any ideas including the Ovo tariffs that vary by the day. As long as I can cancel without a penalty. Does anyone using electricity only know what my best bet is as I am not finding it easy to decide with the caps and fixed tariffs confsing things?

Comments

• Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    EDF Essentials Feb 25 is an old tariff & no longer available. Their best one now is Essentials May 25v6 which I believe is the cheapest on the market 
  • vienna28
    vienna28 Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 March at 1:36AM
    Options
    I live in an all electric flat.  I have 3 storage heaters and immersion heater for hot water and for the past few years i had been on an EDF economy 7 tariff. 

My EDF economy 7 tariff had a standing charge of approximately 50p daily.  The night rate (between 12.30am - 7.30 am was approximately 14.5p kwh and my day rate was approximately 35p kwh.  In December i used 685 kwh at a cost of £128.00. 

However in January i noticed posters on here talking about Octopus energy "Agile tariff".  The Agile tariff prices change daily (new prices for the next day are released at 4pm) they are different prices every half an hour.  I believe the prices are based on now wholesale prices. 

Here's a website that shows you Agile prices from previous days.  You will see between 4pm - 7pm are the most expensive prices:  https://agileprices.co.uk/?region=B

On the occasional day you will even get negative prices when you can use your electric for nothing.  On the opposite side some days prices can of course be sky high. 

At the end of January i decided to move to Octopus energy.  Once there i quickly switched to the Agile tariff.

In February on the Agile tariff i used around 450 kwh at a cost of just over £53.00  So far this month i have used almost 280 kwh at a cost of just over £40.00.  

To be honest it can be pretty boring looking at new tariffs daily.  But it is worth consideration if you don't mind that.  And there is lots of Octopus referral codes out there that if you use you will get credited £50 on your Octopus account and the person who's referral code you used will also get £50.  By the way there is no Agile exit fee if you try it and decide you don't like it. 

Like i say i'm not suggesting you should move to the Octopus Agile tariff.  I'm just suggesting an option.

Just to add you do need a smart meter to be able to have the Octopus energy Agile tariff.

• Buster_Danog
    Buster_Danog Posts: 703 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks guys, particularly for the detailed reply. I guess you could look at Agile on an average per month rather than every day, but I haven't switched to a smart meter yet. I will consider the other tariff for now.
  • charlottecrofts
    Options
    We really rate Octopus and use them for home and business. They have recently lowered our business bill without asking as the wholesale price has gone down. The Agile tariff is great for home, might not be available now but worth looking into what they are offering. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback