Debt collection letter from NHS

Options
Hi,
  I received a debt collection letter from the external agency that NHS is using, I left the NHS Trust and they said I was overpaid by 1000,however, on my calculation i was only overpaid by 500, I was emailing my old manager and the HR to recalculate this, however, they were not replying and next thing I know, I was sent this debt letter. My question is, will this debt collection letter from an external agency will reflect on my credit report in the future as I have a mortgage to pay , it is really worrying me. Thanks.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    No, as its not a credit related debt is it, only credit accounts are shown on credit files.

And even if it did, it would not affect your mortgage.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,512 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    What's going to happen is that the debt collector will run through their standard letters, return it to the NHS and they will sit on it.

If you've made your position clear (I owe £500 not £1000) then there is no need to engage further until you get a formal preaction letter with 30 day reply form. Then you ask for their proof.

Your emails probably count as acknowledgement and reset the statute barred clock.

I had a similar case where the health trust tried court action on a client over six years after the event with no debt ever being acknowledged. We defended the claim as statute barred.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    putopao said:
    Hi,
      I received a debt collection letter from the external agency that NHS is using, I left the NHS Trust and they said I was overpaid by 1000,however, on my calculation i was only overpaid by 500, I was emailing my old manager and the HR to recalculate this, however, they were not replying and next thing I know, I was sent this debt letter. My question is, will this debt collection letter from an external agency will reflect on my credit report in the future as I have a mortgage to pay , it is really worrying me. Thanks.
    Did you repay the £500 you agree is owing?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback