PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenants family member being abuse

Options
I am writing in need of advice on how to proceed further.

I have privately rented a 3-bedroom house to a family consisting of an elderly couple on housing rent, along with their 2 adult sons and a daughter. The rental agreement is in the wife's name. The issue at hand is that one of their sons has antisocial behavior issues; he never grants access to myself for repair work and often shouts at me. Additionally, he abuses and threatens his siblings and parents. It's worth noting that he receives housing benefit. Despite numerous complaints from the siblings about his behavior, the parents, who are the main tenants, have always assured me that they would handle the matter internally. However, I suspect that he pressures them into saying so, and I also doubt that he contributes towards the bills or groceries. Today, the mother (the named tenant) called me in tears to report that he had tampered with the wiring, causing the internet to shut down. As a result, the siblings' work was disrupted, and now he is threatening her with police involvement. The mother reached out to me for help. Could someone guide me on the best course of action moving forward, as I've had enough with him and want him out of the house as soon as possible? Thanks.

Comments

• Smalltownhypocrite
    Options
    You seem very involved in the private family workings of your tenants... its a bit creepy really.

What you 'think' of him doesn't matter. You assuming he doesn't contribute to groceries/bills doesn't matter. You thinking he abuses his family and the lie to you about it doesn't matter... non of those things are your business. 

Him not granting you access when you show up is also ok, tenants are allowed quiet enjoyment and to refuse access (especially as you seem overly involved in their lives).

If he has caused damage to the house then you 'might' have some standing but honestly you come off stalker-ish more than anything. 

If they have a family domestic dispute its on THEM to sort it not you, stay out of it.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,608 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 March at 6:42PM
    Options
    Evict.  All of them.  Obvs.

Or you CERTAIN an s21 would he valid?

What is a "main tenant" (not a legal term I'm aware of)

Is everyone named as tenant.  

Only communicate in writing.  
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wouldn't say that what you are doing is creepy. But, I think you've been drawn into the family dramas of other people. People sometimes need help, but I think (as do others it seems) that it isn't your role to do so. 
  • s_m_2
    s_m_2 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You seem very involved in the private family workings of your tenants... its a bit creepy really.

What you 'think' of him doesn't matter. You assuming he doesn't contribute to groceries/bills doesn't matter. You thinking he abuses his family and the lie to you about it doesn't matter... non of those things are your business. 

Him not granting you access when you show up is also ok, tenants are allowed quiet enjoyment and to refuse access (especially as you seem overly involved in their lives).

If he has caused damage to the house then you 'might' have some standing but honestly you come off stalker-ish more than anything. 

If they have a family domestic dispute its on THEM to sort it not you, stay out of it.
    You raise valid points about privacy and tenant rights. I assure you, I respect their privacy and understand the importance of quiet enjoyment for tenants.
    My concern is primarily for the property's maintenance and any potential damages and his nasty behaviour towards me.
  • s_m_2
    Options

The name "tenant" on the agreement is the mother. I don't want to evict the elderly and the rest of the members because they have been my tenants for years, and I've never had any problems with them. I don't want to create problems for the other members. I really can't keep up with his behaviour. Hence I want to know if s21 or s8 would work in this scenario. 
  • s_m_2
    Options
    RHemmings said:
    I wouldn't say that what you are doing is creepy. But, I think you've been drawn into the family dramas of other people. People sometimes need help, but I think (as do others it seems) that it isn't your role to do so. 
    Thank you for understanding im not being nosy or anything im really surprised with comments like im very involved in theie issue etc. My concern is primarily for the property's maintenance and any potential damages. 
  • s_m_2
    Options
    gwynlas said:
    In your circumstances I would contact social services and report elder abuse.
    Sounds like a good idea.
  • noitsnotme
    noitsnotme Posts: 908 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 March at 9:14PM
    Options
    s_m_2 said:

The name "tenant" on the agreement is the mother. I don't want to evict the elderly and the rest of the members because they have been my tenants for years, and I've never had any problems with them. I don't want to create problems for the other members. I really can't keep up with his behaviour. Hence I want to know if s21 or s8 would work in this scenario. 
    Your only legal tenant is the mother.  The others are technically just visitors I guess?  What does your rental agreement say about the tenant allowing others to stay?

S21/S8 could only be issued against the mother as you have no rental agreement with the son.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,608 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    s_m_2 said:

The name "tenant" on the agreement is the mother. I don't want to evict the elderly and the rest of the members because they have been my tenants for years,..
    You cannot (legally) evict just one - either the whole lot or not at all.

Evict the lot.  They all know what's going on..
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback