Council tax support

Options
  Does anyone know if when you go from ESA to state pension do you have to put in a new claim for council tax support. 

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    pumpkin60 said:
      Does anyone know if when you go from ESA to state pension do you have to put in a new claim for council tax support. 
     No, you do have to report a change of circumstances if the amount of money coming in has changed but it won't be a full reclaim 
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Our housing association advised my friend to contact them 4 months before pension age.
    Their team will help with the transition, ie make sure they get their rent.
    Not a bad thing.
    They will help with Claiming pension, Council tax, water, rent etc.
    The way they put it, each item was like a new claim.
    not 100% sure how it will work, but help is help.
    They will have done it for hundreds if not thousands of tenants, so will have a list of things I’ve not thought of.

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was claiming ESA when I retired.  The DWP wrote to me cancelling my ESA and starting my SP.  I was claiming Housing Benefit and Council Tax benefit which carried on as usual. Everything was changed over seamlessly.  This was about 8 years ago. 
  • marcia_
    Options
     Same with my aunt. She reported her pension was now being paid and she actually got an increase in HB & CTS because she was getting pension credit so bedroom tax for her extra rooms no longer applied
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    marcia_ said:
     Same with my aunt. She reported her pension was now being paid and she actually got an increase in HB & CTS because she was getting pension credit so bedroom tax for her extra rooms no longer applied
    Bedroom tax only applies to those of working age, anyone of pension age is excluded regardless of whether they are getting pension credit. 
  • marcia_
    Options
    KxMx said:
    marcia_ said:
    Bedroom tax only applies to those of working age, anyone of pension age is excluded regardless of whether they are getting pension credit. 
     Right didn't know that, just what she told me 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure