We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Identifying plants & how to look after them

Options
2»

Comments

• GreenBucket24
    GreenBucket24 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 March at 1:54PM
    Options
    Kildare

Thanks! With the hedge it curves around the house so that section is due south and lots of sun whilst part of it is west facing. Hopefully it should grow back in. It’s so fast growing and I have to keep it back off the public path, it’s still very bushy but I don’t want to cut it so hard that it’s either bald or it doesn’t recover!
    Eleagnus doesn’t bounce back from a hard prune as readily as something like privet, so see how it goes. But generally it’s a good idea to taper hedges, or they tend to bush out at the top and the lower parts then die back.  
    @Kildare,  You might like to put some compost around the base of the plant that is getting bald, and give a feed. I use Liquid Miracle Grow for feeding and compost mulch for plants that are a bit strained. Give a regular watering weekly ... hopefully it will come back.
    "My gardening illustrates my artistic passion with plants" - GreenBucket24
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure