EDF Meter

Options
Because I have constantly ignored requests from EDF to install a Smart Meter I feel I am now being blackmailed into having one.  I was lucky to find myself in a 2 year fixed contract when prices went through the roof - this ended in May 2023 and I was put on a Standard Tariff as nothing fixed was available.  However, there is now a 1 Yr fixed rate tariff but I am told I cannot have this rate unless I install a smart meter.  Can they do this ??? 

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, most companies do this not just EDF.
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 March at 2:27PM
    Options
    what's the issue with a smart meter?

The meters save the companies money, so they can pass these savings on to customers via a cheaper rate I guess.
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, it can be a condition of the contract.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DE_612183 said:
    The meters save the companies money, so they can pass these savings on to customers via a cheaper rate I guess.
    Installing smart meters saves the companies being fined for missing the government's targets.
    FYFY !
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,603 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Because I have constantly ignored requests from EDF to install a Smart Meter I feel I am now being blackmailed into having one.  I was lucky to find myself in a 2 year fixed contract when prices went through the roof - this ended in May 2023 and I was put on a Standard Tariff as nothing fixed was available.  However, there is now a 1 Yr fixed rate tariff but I am told I cannot have this rate unless I install a smart meter.  Can they do this ??? 

Welcome to the forum.

As others have said, yes they can require you to have a smart meter. Also, when your current meter reaches the end of its certified life, it will be replaced with a smart meter anyway, and you won't have a choice.
    Many seasoned posters on here will almost certainly address your concerns if you say why you don't want a smart meter, and are prepared to be shot down. :)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• BellaBlondykeTheThird
    Options
    Yes they can do this as otherwise they will be fined for not meeting smart meter targets set by Ofgem (note this is not a supplier led assault on you but Ofgem itself)

The good news is once you have a smart meter it doesn't just open up good fix rates but also very good value time of use tariffs.

What is it that you have read that puts you off a smart meter?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,992 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    EDF invited me several times to have a smart meter, I did want a meter but I was trying to get them to sort out their transposed Economy 7 readings at the time. In the end they offered me, by email, £100 credit on my account if I would swap to a smart meter. Yes please, thanks very much, meter installed and I moved to Octopus about 4 months later. This was February/March time last year.

Check your emails to see if there's one in there somewhere offering you a bribe.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 March at 3:34PM
    Options
    You are not being blackmailed. Just have a smart meter installed like everyone else sensible. Yes they can do "this", yes it is legal and indeed fix or no fix it will likely become compulsory in the next few years. 
  • vienna28
    vienna28 Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 March at 8:26PM
    Options
    Haggisbasher, as you know all elecrical equipment gets more sophisticated and advanced as the years go by.  Electric meters are no different.

30 or so years ago i had a non digital ordinary dial electric meter.  Then i had installed a digital prepayment meter were you topped up electricity with pink prepayment cards.  Then the electric company installed a digital prepayment electric meter were you topped up with a key fob.  Then i moved to another digital electric meter that wasn't prepayment.  Then 3 or so years ago EON installed a digital smart meter.

So just look at your new smart meter like a more modern electric meter.  I'm sure once installed you'll be wondering why you were ever stressing about it being installed.  
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The best way of getting the cheapest tariffs on offer is to get a smart meter to be honest.  And as already mentioned, at some stage your meter is going to reach end of life and need replacement, at which point you will be getting one anyway - only you will have been potentially paying more for your energy in the interim. 

You’ve not given any indication as to what your reservations are about smart meters. A lot of folk arrive here having read all sorts of stuff about them - some of the negatives you read are misrepresentation of facts,  and some are quite simply put out there by people who enjoy making other people scared, or uncomfortable, or mistrustful. If you feel comfortable to share your concerns, then it’s extremely likely we’ll be able to explain why there is no need to be worried, and what the truth of the matter is. If your concerns are something which could genuine be an issue, the chances are that someone will be able to talk you through whether it is likely to happen, and what you would do if it did. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills