Section 75

Hi. New to the forum and joined because I'd like advice if I can claim with my credit card company using section 75. If not, is there any other way I can try and claim any money back? Thanks.

I paid 3.5k for emergency drain works at my property. I paid on my credit card. Without going into too much detail, when I claimed on my home insurance they told me that the work was overscoped and overpriced and some of it wasn't even done. After this I requested a detailed invoice from the drainage company to go back to the insurer with. But for example, on this the drainage company said they laid five meters of liner when in fact the surveyor my home insurance sent out could only see two. There were a couple of things on the breakdown of the invoice that I haven't agreed to and their time/labor costs were almost double what I expected.  I realise it's my fault that I agreed to the total when it was presented to me and paid and told them to go ahead with the work.  And it's my fault I didn't ask for a breakdown of invoice beforehand or go to my insurance before telling them to get on with the works. I didn't know any of this beforehand.

So I went back to the drainage company with a detailed email listing what I didn't agree with and ask them to refund me the difference which was about 2K. After many back and forth emails and even me providing ring doorbell footage proving some details the drainage company agreed to settle and refund me 1k. That was a month ago and despite numerous emails and phone calls from me and numerous emails and texts from them back to me confirming they will make the payment within five to seven working days or 24 hours... The refund has never come. 

Everything on email I obviously have a copy of and any conversations I've had on the phone I've made notes on with time date name content of conversation etc.

Can I go to the credit card company with all of this and ask them to try and get the money back (section 75) ? Or can I go anywhere else and try and get my money back from this drainage company? They are obviously just laughing at me and are never going to give me this refund. 

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,264 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    So you claimed you were owed £2k but the company argued it should be £1k but they haven't yet paid you this?

Are you accepting that it should be £1k or still arguing it should be £2k?
    When was the original payment made and when were works due to finish?
    Do you have an email from the company saying they accept they are liable to pay £1k back to you or do they use wording like "gesture of goodwill"? 

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You can try CC. But do not sure that S75 will cover this.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Querty1234
    Querty1234 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    So you claimed you were owed £2k but the company argued it should be £1k but they haven't yet paid you this?

Are you accepting that it should be £1k or still arguing it should be £2k?
    When was the original payment made and when were works due to finish?
    Do you have an email from the company saying they accept they are liable to pay £1k back to you or do they use wording like "gesture of goodwill"? 

Yes to your first paragraph. I accepted their offer of 1k and didn't argue further. Original payment Jan 8th after completion of work on same day.

This is their email wording from 9th February to me with a settlement offer. 

"Good morning, 
    We have concluded that we are happy to refund the the following:
    (Detail cut out to reduce length of this post)

Total refund: £860.00
     Inclusive of VAT: £1032.00

This decision is final and will be reimbursed to your designated bank by way of card to the original card within 5 - 7 working days. 

Kind Regards
    Harry Seal 
    Company Director"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family