We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Ideas wanted for a shrub in a tub

Options
Farway
Farway Posts: 13,234 Forumite
Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
As many may know, I volunteer with a border/ plant patch locally

Approaching the door, and alongside the building wall we have large tubs, normally planted with whatever is going cheap in Morries etc

However, two tubs have Salvia Hot lips in them, which do well
The area is sheltered by the building, and we are in souther Hampshire, so nothing drastic with the weather

There is one more large tub which has had various plants in, fuchsia etc, none of which have really thrived, and I'm looking for a good "doer" like Hotlips but ideally not another salvia

Any ideas?  Would like long flowering period, tough, easy care and able to withstand neglect,and fag ends

Does such a shrub exist?
Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens

Comments

• ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    edited 19 March at 2:21PM
    Options
    I'm assuming you've considered the default council planter options (lavender, rosemary, verbena)... Some other things I've seen work in tubs and that might contrast nicely with hot lips would be Bluebeard (caryopteris), Cotton Lavender (santolina) or rock rose (Cistus)
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Farway
    Options
    I'm assuming you've considered the default council planter options (lavender, rosemary, verbena)... Some other things I've seen work in tubs and that might contrast nicely with hot lips would be Bluebeard (caryopteris), Cotton Lavender (santolina) or rock rose (Cistus)
    Thanks Arbs, some well worth looking into there, I should have said we already have lavender & rosemary elsewhere
    I'll check if Morries have any on Friday, keeping cost down being a cheapskate

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It’s not in a pot but this is what my council have outside their office - 

The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,566 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 20 March at 12:48AM
    Options
    My ever useful perennial wallflowers flower all year and quickly grow small shrub like.
    Silver Charm is the best doer. It seeds around and takes easily from cuttings.
    Mine cost about less than this so good value after 2 years.
    https://www.bomagardencentre.co.uk/product/erysimum-winter-charm-pot-size-2ltr-perennial-wall

I've also got the giant wallflowers in a large pot. About £1,50 for 10 at this time of year. Otter nurseries.
    They've survived a season in friends garden and self sown. Highly scented too. In Somerset they bloom most of the year.

Cuttings/seeds from parent shoved carefully planted in other parts of the border will bring on replacements if the local behaviour is particularly vigorous.

Or Heucheras. Morres or Tesco have done those. Lots of colour all year. Mix them up. They flower and are virtually bomb proof.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Farway
    Options
    Tanks everyone, I'm hoping to get to Morries on Friday so will check out for those mentioned
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,566 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morries here had the everlasting Wallflowers at a decent price today.....so surprised as it's a relatively new plant.
    Loved the colours and nearly came away with a couple!
    The mixed colours are best and nothing like 'Bowles Mauve' knowing how you love that :D

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Farway
    Options
    twopenny said:
    Morries here had the everlasting Wallflowers at a decent price today.....so surprised as it's a relatively new plant.
    Loved the colours and nearly came away with a couple!
    The mixed colours are best and nothing like 'Bowles Mauve' knowing how you love that :D
    Right, fingers crossed for tomorrow. I may pick up [or at least glance at] grow bags while I'm there.

• GreenBucket24
    GreenBucket24 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Farway said:

The area is sheltered by the building, and we are in souther Hampshire, so nothing drastic with the weather

There is one more large tub which has had various plants in, fuchsia etc, none of which have really thrived, and I'm looking for a good "doer" like Hotlips but ideally not another salvia

When you described as 'sheltered', is this south facing? north? west? or east facing? I asked as there are many plants that live better based on the aspects and exposure to sunlight or partial light. Is your larger tub in the same area?
    "My gardening illustrates my artistic passion with plants" - GreenBucket24
  • Farway
    edited 24 March at 9:53AM
    Options
    Farway said:

When you described as 'sheltered', is this south facing? north? west? or east facing? I asked as there are many plants that live better based on the aspects and exposure to sunlight or partial light. Is your larger tub in the same area?
    It's an L corner of the building, facing mainly East so bakes in morning before sun moves over the building, loads of daylight, sheltered from West & Southerly wind, rain, or snow
    Residual heat from the building walls
    Ideal for something like tomatoes sort of spot, but not them or other fruits because they get pinched.

• Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    An Acca would give you flowers and fruit. Most people don't know it, so more chance of keeping the fruit! ;) Around the edges, how about undemanding Heliathemums?
    Forget robot dogs; why not send people to the Moon?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback