LPA & Preparedness

Options
Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't in the correct board.

LPAs (financial and health&care) are in the process of being registered with myself as the attorney for both of my parents. 

I read the associated paperwork prior to signing etc and obviously to some extent 'know' my parents, however I'm also an only child and believe that preparedness will help no end if/when the day comes that any of these LPA's come into play (or even just the fact that we all, god willing, inevitably get old and may need assistance further down the line) as I also know my trait of overthinking/overanalysing/second guessing things which I'm sure will be worse in times of stress/difficulty.

So... whilst my parents are still in their spring chicken era and fit and well and sound of mind... are there any resources that anyone knows of that give a form or checklist that I can systematically work through and note my parents wishes? e.g. serious illness wishes, care home wishes, funeral wishes, things that would be a hard-line 'no let me pass away' etc? Whilst very methodical in many respects I find my head rather scattered when I begin to think of this and figured I can't be the only one? It's all on me at the end of the day so trying to get my ducks in a row.
Aim 1:12mth Emergency Fund -> £9440/£16152 (58%) Aim 2: Car kicks the bucket Fund -> £9915/£17000 (58%)

Comments

• sew_what
    sew_what Posts: 253 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There's a great document on the Ague UK website that will help you collate all the useful information you need.
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/end-of-life-planning/lifebook/
    My Mum passed away last year and it helped us immensely, although I still don't know who cleans the windows!
    As far as the medical side, the Dr would would need to gain consent for a DNR (Do not resuscitate) but it's never to early for that type of conversation
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 March at 8:34PM
    Options
    For health issues, advanced decision/living will. Done properly it’s legally binding so it would be your parents wishes that they have already expressed and there would not be the need for you to try and work out what they would want.

Even if your parents don’t wish to complete it there are areas in there that could be discussion points, so you are fully aware of their preferred balance between comfort and active treatment and any definite nos. 
    https://compassionindying.org.uk/how-we-can-help/living-will-advance-decision/

For other aspects such as care homes, they could make an advance statement which is a statement of preferences for you to take into account on behalf when making decisions using the LPA. It’s not legally binding, but it’s a good guide for the decisions that they would make where they able to. Again, there’s not a definitive list, but it’s really about thinking about what’s important to them and what makes their life worthwhile. So for me, it would be a care home with accessible outside space that would be really important. And no blasted bingo!  Other people wouldn’t care about that but might have strong views about their religion or spirituality and how those needs would be met. 
    So an advanced statement would be about how they would like any care to be given, rather than what they might like to refuse.
    more information and template in here. 
    https://compassionindying.org.uk/how-we-can-help/advance-statement/

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • bex2012
    bex2012 Posts: 223 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sew_what said:
    There's a great document on the Ague UK website that will help you collate all the useful information you need.
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/end-of-life-planning/lifebook/
    My Mum passed away last year and it helped us immensely, although I still don't know who cleans the windows!
    As far as the medical side, the Dr would would need to gain consent for a DNR (Do not resuscitate) but it's never to early for that type of conversation
    Can I just say a huge thank you for sharing this? Im in the very early stages of sorting LPAs for my parents. Dad is quite poorly but still has his marbles. This will help me and mum such a lot, keeping everything in one place.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback