Water Softener brine tank scum/mould ?

Options
Recently replaced our water softener, now a Kinetico Kube which is later model of the previous failed unit.

I am now noticing a scum/mould build up in the brine tank which I don't recall seeing in the previous unit.
There is no sign of this scum in the water tank in loft, which is first place softened water goes, there is no direct tap after softener

Anyone seen similar on their softeners ?
What is this scum ? 

Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    There has been a batch of substandard salt put into the market by some online bargain basement sellers.
    I suffered the same and it damaged the multiport valve in the softener head.
    The solution is to clean and repair and then pay full price for the salt 

The contamination will not get through the softener to the outlet water supply, but may increase head loss through the softener.
  • bob_a_builder
    bob_a_builder Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks
    Got it on bypass now - hope no damage, its only a month or so old
    This was 'branded' as Culligan, but as we know anything can be faked nowadays
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say it does look like impurities from the salt.
    If the brown bits were very even then it could be the resin escaping from the unit - that does not look to be the case from the photo you shared.
    Is the salt from Culligan also?
    If the whole softener is only a month old, and everything from Culligan, I'd log it as a fault.

For reference, I have attached a photo showing the contaminated salt from within our softener brine tank:

• bob_a_builder
    bob_a_builder Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 March at 12:39AM
    Options
    Its a Kinetico unit, I sent them the picture, they suggested its probably a bad batch of salt
    Have ordered some of their 'recommended' salt from an online salt company
    Unit all cleaned out now, ready to go again with the new salt
    In original picture, it was salt from a garden center. bag branded as Culligan, but was quite a good price as I recall ( not something garden centres are generally known for )
    Until my confidence returns ( and while I remember to do it) - I'll test a couple of tablets from the bags in water overnight before they go into the unit 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback