Power of Attorney Query

Options
One of my parents have just turned 75 and have set me up as a POA as a precaution although they are currently fit and healthy.  They wanted to add me on to their bank account too but we now have a few concerns.  We live at the same address and are concerned that by adding me, it could affect my tax credit awards, our childrens university finance applications and my general credit score.  Is this the case and if so, is it better to register the POA now on the accounts or what should we do.

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,644 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Unless you are already doing things like purchasing shopping then there is no point in doing this now. 
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    One of my parents have just turned 75 and have set me up as a POA as a precaution although they are currently fit and healthy. 
    POA or LPOA?

We live at the same address and are concerned that by adding me, it could affect my tax credit awards, our childrens university finance applications and my general credit score. 
    If you are added as an individual, then you become a joint account holder and any means tested benefits or applications would be affected.     If you are added as attorney, then it wouldn't be.     A POA would allow that but an LPOA wouldn't unless the LPOA is active (which it wouldn't be from your description of their health).   Banks can also add you a per pro signatory.  Again, wouldn't affect benefits or applications.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback