Help needed

Options
In 2022 I was made involuntary bankrupt. The whole thing been a nightmare as when the ruling was made I was sectioned under the Mental Health Act, couldn't attend the hearing and then had appeal blocked. To add to it I knew all along I was owed more than what the creditors would be but hadn't got the funds in due to Lockdown and my own illness.

Flash forward to November 2023 and I was finally paid a significant amount of money (almost double the total of the bankruptcy) and that went straight the Official Receivers office from the people who owed it to me. The payment delay was a mixture of Covid delay and I went seriously ill into hospital so wasn't around to chase it. In fact I never returned to work. However after receiving the funds the appointed Trustee has done nothing for the past 146 days and is now trying to add HMRC as a creditor for tax liability saying the fact I only got paid 4 months ago is immaterial because technically the funds should have been paid before the bankruptcy but werent(through no fault of my own as I was ill) so therefore you now owe the tax immediately as well. 

Is the Trustee right in trying to add HMRC now even though we are still in the same tax year as when payment officially received and the funds were received after the bankruptcy date? Honestly it feel a bit like discrimination because IF I received the funds onetime I'd never have been made bankrupt as everything wouldve been paid. Now having been made bankrupt, it feels they are saying because I was ill and there was a pandemic then you now have to pay tax earlier as well. 

Thanks

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure