motorcycle/motorbike insurance comparison sites question?

Options
Howdy!

I'm looking to get motorcycle/motorbike insurance for my first ever 125cc bike!

Currently all quotes are between £1,300 (principal insurance) - £4,046 (jeez Carole Nash)

However, my question is: does doing multiple searches on comparison sites or direct affect my price? I read on the article it doesn't affect my credit as it's only soft-searching my identify unless I of course take out said insurance becoming a hard-search.

Upon reading the Cheap motorbike insurance article it says to "Try as many as you can, in this order" However, every time I try another search comparison site (two so far) I feel it's getting more and more expensive and then the previous "low" is also now said expensive?

Is going direct cheaper than a comparison site? However, I'm hard of hearing so will need to give all my details via BT's Relay UK.

I will be paying yearly, not monthly.

Thanks!

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    In principle you could go to everyone once and that wouldn't cause any problems. It's not like applying for cards where a bank gets worried because you've already applied for 3 other cards earlier in the day.

However... Insurers are concerned about people manipulating their details to try to artificially get cheaper prices and so if you do multiple quotes with the same provider with different declarations then you may see prices spike or insurers stop quoting. This is especially true if you play with things that aren't variable such as doing one quote with 2 SP30s on your license from last year and the next quote saying you have a clean license. 
  • RayJohnson48
    RayJohnson48 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In principle you could go to everyone once and that wouldn't cause any problems. It's not like applying for cards where a bank gets worried because you've already applied for 3 other cards earlier in the day.

However... Insurers are concerned about people manipulating their details to try to artificially get cheaper prices and so if you do multiple quotes with the same provider with different declarations then you may see prices spike or insurers stop quoting. This is especially true if you play with things that aren't variable such as doing one quote with 2 SP30s on your license from last year and the next quote saying you have a clean license. 
    Gotcha! I've kept all my details the same across every compare website. Have tried a few job titles but only changed about 5 quid.

I'm reading online if you tell your insurance about "security devices" in the dropdown menu. You're expected to use this all the time but say I select a ground anchor, how can I possible buy a new ground anchor and fix it into the ground everywhere I go? BikeSocial suggest avoid putting down any security device as you'd be expected to use this.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Insurers are not that unreasonable... a very well off friend has some very expensive watches etc, he's asked where he stores them and he says in a safe and they are all insured world wide. They clearly expect when he's out shopping in Lidl that one of the watches is on his wrist and it's not that he has the safe on his back. 

Alarms, trackers, locks etc are a different matter. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback