Is JCT required/alternatives?

Options
I am about to chose a builder for a garage conversion and redecoration. 

What should I be looking for in terms of paperwork and contracts? I've got price breakdown and schedule of works written down and I am reasonably happy with the level of detail and communication so far. Is something like this sufficient or is a formal contract, such a JCT required/advised? 

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 March at 8:34PM
    Options
    Yes, though the JCT contract might be a bit overkill for what is a relatively small job. 

Members of the Federation of Master Builders (FMB) are able to use their contracts and they're specially tailored for your kind of work.   
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,801 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I am about to chose a builder for a garage conversion and redecoration. 

What should I be looking for in terms of paperwork and contracts? I've got price breakdown and schedule of works written down and I am reasonably happy with the level of detail and communication so far. Is something like this sufficient or is a formal contract, such a JCT required/advised? 

JCT is appropriate for more complex projects, most people manage Ok with something more basic.

Rather than the form of contract it is usually more important to get the planning and building control situation sorted, then have final drawings/specification so both sides know what is agreed.  Making changes during the contract needs to be done with great care - understanding the impact on cost and time delay. Avoid if possible. If not possible to avoid then the more complex forms of contract (where the change process is formalised) can be better.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback