Backdating Increase of Holiday Entitlement for Staff who started during the financial year

Options
Hi

My employers have increase our holiday entitlement by 5 days per year, which they will backdate to the start of the financial year (our year runs September - August). This is for all staff no matter the length of your employment.

I've been told that I'm not entitled to this increase because they are only backdating the entitlement for staff who were in employment on the 1st September. I started after this date. However, someone new starting this week will have the increase included in their holiday entitlement for this current year, pro rata'd. I got a shoulder shrug when I questioned this.

I'm struggling how they can do this. Are they allowed to do this?

Thanks

Comments

• beatrixx
    beatrixx Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I must add that I realise that if I was entitled to backdated holiday entitlement it would be to my start date only. But is not even happening.
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 March at 8:39PM
    Options
    As long as you get the statutory minimum of 5.6 weeks including bank holidays (pro-rated for the period of the holiday year you are employed) and there is no discrimination based on protected characteristics as to why you aren't getting the pro-rated extra then, yes they can do it. 
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    beatrixx said:
    Hi

My employers have increase our holiday entitlement by 5 days per year, which they will backdate to the start of the financial year (our year runs September - August). This is for all staff no matter the length of your employment.

I've been told that I'm not entitled to this increase because they are only backdating the entitlement for staff who were in employment on the 1st September. I started after this date. However, someone new starting this week will have the increase included in their holiday entitlement for this current year, pro rata'd. I got a shoulder shrug when I questioned this.

Thanks
    When (after 1st September) was your start date?
    Are you getting the pro-rata increase from the date the increase came into effect?

I am inclined to say they are allowed to do this, so long as the reason for not extending the increase to all staff is not connected to a protected characteristic (which it does not sound to be).
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It would be worth checking that what they’ve done matches their own policies. You could also talk to your union if you’re a member
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can see why they'd do it for new hires but not for 'late starters': they don't really have a choice about the former. It may be that the logistics of re-calculating for the latter have put them off: are there many of you? I feel there's strength in numbers here: your individual unhappiness may not register, but a group of you may get further. Especially if you're in a union.

Signature removed for peace of mind
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 368 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    beatrixx said:
    Hi

Thanks
    assuming you all ready recieve at least the minimum legal amount of holiday and the employer has not breached  their own polices they can do this 

they have varied the contracts  of those in post on 1/9  last year from  that date, they have varied  your  contract ( and presumably anyone else in that position ) with effect from this 1/9 

the new starter has contract from their start  date which appears to have  always had the new entitlement 

it;s likely legal  even if  it's a !!!!!! move from management 
  • beatrixx
    beatrixx Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your advice.

I found someone in HR who was more helpful and confirmed that everyone is entitled in the new holiday entitlement. It will be backdated to the start of the financial year or their start date should the staff member have started within the current year. It's not their policy to roll out new benefits to some staff. 

They are a huge company which is heavily unionised, plus very hot on inclusivity, for them to suddenly start to exclude certain groups of staff, just didn't make sense. The senior manager who told me that I wasn't entitled, I have a feeling that they were given the message by someone that it would have been too much admin for.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback