Car Insurance NCB question

Options
Last year my husband who is a named driver on my policy had a prang. He doesn't have his own car insurance so the claim went on my name.  The renewal now shows I have only 4 NCD. I queried this because I've gone 16years without a claim. So the answer is that the max ncb for them is 9+.
Surely this isn't correct or fair? 

Comments

• Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why wouldn't it be correct or fair?

No claims discount is a marketing gimmick, nothing more, nothing less. So long as the insurer honours the terms it sets out in the policy booklet, they can implement it pretty much any way they like, or not implement it at all if they prefer.

In days of yore five years was the maximum that any insurer would recognise. And making a claim reduced your NCD by 2 years, so if you had the maximum a claim reduced your NCD to 3 years.

Then more recently, as a marketing gimmick, a few insurers started to say that they would reward careful drivers by recognising up to 9 years NCD. Which meant in practice that they offered the same maximum discount, it just took you 9 years to get to it instead of 5. People lapped it up, for some reason. So much so that a handful of insurers even started offering to make you wait 15 years to get your maximum discount, sorry I mean reward you for up to 15 years of careful driving.

But even with insurers who recognise more than 5 years, the "claim when you have 5 or more years means you end up with 3 years" rule has remained fairly standard. So if you have made a claim and still ended up with 4 years, you are actually doing better than you would with most insurers.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    eve1104 said:
    Last year my husband who is a named driver on my policy had a prang. He doesn't have his own car insurance so the claim went on my name.  The renewal now shows I have only 4 NCD. I queried this because I've gone 16years without a claim. So the answer is that the max ncb for them is 9+.
    Surely this isn't correct or fair? 
    Read your policy book, it will say how claims impact your NCD. 

Normally if you dont have protected NCD then any NCD of 5 or more years reduces to 3 years after a fault claim. If yours has gone to 4 then you are doing better than most. 
  • Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 480 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't worry about NCD, it's basically meaningless.
    As an experiment try getting a quote for your husband with no NCD, same car etc, basically exactly the same details as you currently have, just with him as the policyholder not you.
    I'll wager there is very little difference between his quote and yours!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback