Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Council Tax as a permitted occupier

Hello everyone, 

I hope you are well, 

I have a question regarding the impact of my presence as a permitted occupier on a student's council tax. 
My boyfriend and I are planning on living together, he is a tenant, and I would be a permitted occupier. He is a student, so he is exempt from council tax, however, I am working. I was wondering if a working permitted occupier will bring council tax to the tenant of the flat - my tax-exempt boyfriend. 

I have also read that the partner of a student could be considered "disregarded" (Cf: "Paying the right level of Council Tax: a plain English guide to Council Tax by UK Gov) - giving a 50% discount to the household. However, the partner has to be non-British. I am French, but I own a pre-settlement status, so I am not sure it applies to me. 

Thank you very much for your help!  


  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,561 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 March at 4:53PM
    Council tax would be due, perhaps with single person occupant discount.

    When you discussed this with the council's council tax department what did they say please?

    When boyfriend discussed his plans with landlord what did he say?

    Are you sure you won't move to statutory overcrowding please?

    Permitted.. by whom and how, please?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,600 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I am not an expert on this aspect of CT, but I think as you are non-British, that is the relevant part. As I understand it , your pre-settled status does not make you a British citizen
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • jrawle
    jrawle Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    The bit about foreign spouses being "disregarded" is explained more fully earlier in the document:
    The exemption extends to students’ spouses or dependents who are not British citizens, and who are prevented by the terms of their entry visa from taking paid employment or from claiming benefit.

    You clearly do not fall into this category as you are entitled to work in the UK, and plan to do so. You will therefore be liable to pay Council Tax. If you are the only person in the household who is not a student, you should be eligible for the 25% Single Person Discount.

    I get that this is MSE, but why do you think, as a working person, you should not have to pay the same Council Tax as you would if you were living on your own, and that everyone else has to pay?

Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards