Incorrect Holiday Entitlement at Resignation

Options
metrerita
metrerita Posts: 1 Newbie
Hi All,

Just wanted some advice as I was informed when i handed in my resignation I had 0.5 days to use.

Upon than confirmation, I booked annual leave and have now been emailed a while after leaving that the wording on an email regarding my holiday entitlement was wrong and that I actually owed 0.5 days.

Now from my final pay they will be deducting 1 fully day - do I have any rights to object this (or tribunal?)  as If i was aware I wouldn’t have taken the additional 0.5? 

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No t really - you could argue that you would not have taken the 0.5 had you known it didn't exist - depending on the employer they may just waive it, but at the end of the day you've had time off so you can't get paid for it as well.

Best case is to ask the question of the employer - and see what they say.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    metrerita said:
    Hi All,

Just wanted some advice as I was informed when i handed in my resignation I had 0.5 days to use.

Upon than confirmation, I booked annual leave and have now been emailed a while after leaving that the wording on an email regarding my holiday entitlement was wrong and that I actually owed 0.5 days.

Now from my final pay they will be deducting 1 fully day - do I have any rights to object this (or tribunal?)  as If i was aware I wouldn’t have taken the additional 0.5? 

The first thing to do is establish whether they are correct. When does your holiday year run from/until? How many days were you entitled to? How many days have you taken?

You need to do the calculation to work out whether they are correct. If you can't remember what days you have taken, ask for a list of all taken days of holiday. It could be they have made a mistake, so always worth checking this. e.g. if you cancelled a day but it didn't get deducted. 

As an employee, it is up to you to make sure you book the correct holiday. If you have taken one day more than you should have then you will need to pay it back. 
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback