ADVICE REQUIRED ON FLOOR TILES

Options

Hi Folks 

I am planning to fit some floor tiles in front of my front door at my property. 

Can you kindly advise if I should buy several small tiles or some large tiles (which will obviously cover more area) 

Are there any pros and cons of the size and is there any specific material I should buy?

Thanks

Comments

• elly68
    elly68 Posts: 2,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    use big tiles less grouting buy a few spare in case of cracking you can lift one tile and replace  tile places usually advise on tile type for different areas due to footfall
    So finally debt free and it feels amazing however continuing here to stay debt free.Next declutter house and body and finally swim under that waterfall x
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    geek84 said:

Hi Folks 

I am planning to fit some floor tiles in front of my front door at my property. 

Can you kindly advise if I should buy several small tiles or some large tiles (which will obviously cover more area) 

Are there any pros and cons of the size and is there any specific material I should buy?

Thanks

The tiles should be non slip when wet. Probably most will be anyway but worth checking.
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 3,996 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Inside your front door or outside?
    Whether using large or small depends a lot on how you think it will look. 
    Small tiles are easier on an uneven floor. Less chance of any lippage. 
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    stuart45 said: Small tiles are easier on an uneven floor. Less chance of any lippage. 
    Large format tiles should be laid using a tile leveling system. It is also well worth back buttering the tiles before laying them - Adhesive is troweled on the floor, and a thin layer applied to the back of the tile.
    Did both when laying some 300x600 & 600x600 tiles on a hearth. Zero lippage, and they are well stuck.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback