Help with car?

Options
Hi
My sister is in receipt of PIP but lower rate mobility.
Unfortunately her old car has become unreliable.
She is in a very rural area and public transport is unavailable.
Due to her medical conditions she requires weekly hospital visits.
Does anyone know of any schemes that allow car hire purchase on the lower rate of mobility or is it possible to get travel expenses paid for taxi use
Thank you 

Comments

• Nosmo_King_2
    Nosmo_King_2 Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is a reassessment for mobility/motability an option?
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Can she not get hospital transport for the weekly appointments?
    Life in the slow lane
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,606 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/help-with-health-costs/healthcare-travel-costs-scheme-htcs/

PIP isn't a qualifying benefit so an application might need to be made through the NHS Low Income Scheme (link within the above page) 

Taxi costs require prior authorisation as in most cases it's expected for people to use public transport or a private car. 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 March at 9:02PM
    Options
    Can she not get hospital transport for the weekly appointments?
    That’s usually for people who have difficulty walking, or might need some extra support while travelling. 

Depending on the reason for her medical appointments, would she qualify for help under this?
    https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/help-with-health-costs/healthcare-travel-costs-scheme-htcs/

No family, friends or neighbours who could help her out for the cost of petrol? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Spanieldad
    Spanieldad Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you for your replies
    I'm not sure have to reply individually
    She is concerned that reassessment may reduce her points.
    I will pass on the information for the NHS travel costs, thank you for the link.

She lives 3hrs away from nearest family and does use the hospital transport sometimes but feels guilty.

She does have neighbours but is fiercely independent and is embarrassed to ask(this is something we can work on)
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Do you not have a  local link scheme.  People Volunteer their time and use their car to get people to appointments.  You donate what you can afford.  I know someone who uses it and I have always suggested they donate 45p a mile as that is the mileage you get paid for work purposes.  But of course if you can't afford that they are happy with anything.

Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,334 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Any local groups that can help out?  Where I live there is a volunteer driver group just for that purpose. 
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you for your replies
    I'm not sure have to reply individually
    She is concerned that reassessment may reduce her points.
    I will pass on the information for the NHS travel costs, thank you for the link.

She lives 3hrs away from nearest family and does use the hospital transport sometimes but feels guilty.

She does have neighbours but is fiercely independent and is embarrassed to ask(this is something we can work on)
    Don't. That is what it is there for. 👍
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport