Shower Not Getting Hot

Options
One specific shower is not getting very hot, suspect cartridge is gone.

Have looked online, people say it's easier to replace the entire bar, than replace the catridge, is this true?

Any other advice?

Comments

• thebullsback
    thebullsback Posts: 550 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the shower hose and Head in good condition ? I mistaken replaced my Mira Cartridge due to similar issue as you only to discover that the shower hose had broken down internally which then had an effect on the flow which in turn effected the Temperature balance . 
    Keep in your thoughts the poor Beasts of burden around the World and curse All who do them harm.
  • tigertrio
    tigertrio Posts: 79 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is the shower hose and Head in good condition ? I mistaken replaced my Mira Cartridge due to similar issue as you only to discover that the shower hose had broken down internally which then had an effect on the flow which in turn effected the Temperature balance . 
    Yes everything is in good condition.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If this is a surface mounted bar shower, then it is a five minute job to replace the whole thing, once the water is turned off. 

Due to the funny way that spare parts are priced, there may be little difference in cost between buying a new cartridge and a whole new unit. It’s outrageous, really. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,856 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As GDB says.
    First you need the make and model of the shower. Then you can check out the difference in price between the cartridge, and the whole bar. Likely to be little.
    Many makes of 'bar' are interchangeable too, having the same inlet spacings.
    Photo?
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As far as I know, they all have the same spacing between the inlets. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,974 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    We had a similar problem and it was solved by replacing the cartridge. 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • jonnydeppiwish!
    jonnydeppiwish! Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 18 March at 10:26AM
    Options
    Worth checking the boiler water pressure, esp if a combi boiler, as they will cut off if pressure is too low.

sorry just seen it’s one specific shower.
    2006 LBM £28,000+ in debt.
    2021 mortgage and debt free, working part time and living the dream
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport