Boiler serviced this morning - not working this evening

Options
Nebbit
Nebbit Posts: 56 Forumite
First Post
I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar gas boiler bought a year ago. Today the independent plumber who installed it came and did the first service, for which I paid. This evening we found it was not working. There is a flashing light which seems to indicate an overheating problem. He tells me that he had to remove the fan assembly to clean the burners and this may have induced the problem, but it could have happened at any time. He said he would not be coming to rectify the problem because it is under warranty, and therefore he is not allowed to supply any parts.  Instead he will be contacting Worcester Bosch for their engineer to come out to fix it. I am not sure I trust this plumber, but in principle I would far rather use an independent plumber than enter into a costly service contract.  Is what he says reasonable, or is he just passing the buck?

Comments

• OutdoorQueen
    OutdoorQueen Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When I had a problem with my Worcester boiler, my plumber came to service it and couldn’t fix the problem and said it might be the thermostat.  He told me to ring Worcester as it was still under warranty. I was expecting a battle but Worcester came out quite quickly and fitted a new thermostat ….it was a lot easier than I thought.   
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Nebbit said:
    I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar gas boiler bought a year ago. Today the independent plumber who installed it came and did the first service, for which I paid. This evening we found it was not working. There is a flashing light which seems to indicate an overheating problem. He tells me that he had to remove the fan assembly to clean the burners and this may have induced the problem, but it could have happened at any time. He said he would not be coming to rectify the problem because it is under warranty, and therefore he is not allowed to supply any parts.  Instead he will be contacting Worcester Bosch for their engineer to come out to fix it. I am not sure I trust this plumber, but in principle I would far rather use an independent plumber than enter into a costly service contract.  Is what he says reasonable, or is he just passing the buck?

If he's arranging an engineer to come out to repair it under warranty - I'm not sure where the expensive contract you're talking of comes in? Or was that something you discussed?

You could contact them directly to see if your engineer has reported the issue?

There's a live chat facility here:

An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • thebullsback
    thebullsback Posts: 550 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    read the Boiler manual and look for the "Reset " option. It may just do it for you  
    Keep in your thoughts the poor Beasts of burden around the World and curse All who do them harm.
  • Nebbit
    First Post
    Options
    read the Boiler manual and look for the "Reset " option. It may just do it for you  
    I tried the reset but it only worked for 5 minutes before the problem happened again
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When I had a problem with my Worcester boiler, my plumber came to service it and couldn’t fix the problem and said it might be the thermostat.  He told me to ring Worcester as it was still under warranty. I was expecting a battle but Worcester came out quite quickly and fitted a new thermostat ….it was a lot easier than I thought.   
    Same here. Had it serviced, still in warranty, and the local installer/engineer could not get the flue gases balance correct, so slapped a big yellow sticker on it and said we should call WB and not use it .
    It was a Friday ( in Winter). Called WB and an engineer arrived 07.00 on Monday and fixed it.
  • Nebbit
    First Post
    edited 20 March at 7:24PM
    Options
    I have now had the visit from the Worcester Bosch engineer. He resolved the problem by replacing the overheat thermostat which is near the top of the boiler. He said my plumber (now my ex plumber!) must have damaged the thermostat when removing the burner clamping plate for cleaning the burners. He also spotted a fault in the original installation, lack of sealant around the exterior flue, and put it right. He was also a little surprised that my original plumber did not return to my house at all after I had reported the problem. Good service from Worcester Bosch, not so good from others. Many thanks to all who have commented.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Good to hear it - did the ex-plumber actually make the arrangements, or did you have to do it yourself?

Good that they resolved the issue without fuss as well, rather than saying someone else broke it, so someone else has to pay for it.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Nebbit
    First Post
    Options
    Good to hear it - did the ex-plumber actually make the arrangements, or did you have to do it yourself?

Good that they resolved the issue without fuss as well, rather than saying someone else broke it, so someone else has to pay for it.
    He did make the arrangements, in fairness
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you not get a long warranty with Worcester Bosch ? did your  " Independent Plumber " register it for warranty and were they Gas Safe registered ? 
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Nebbit
    First Post
    Options
    Yes I do have a long warranty and the independent plumber did do what he should have done regarding registration. I have no reason to think he was not Gas Safe registered - there was nothing dangerous about what he did, just very annoying
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback