PIP and State Pension query

Options
Hi all

My wife currently receives PIP which ends the day before her 66th birthday next March when she will receive her full State Pension. I recently read that if someone is entitled to PIP in the year prior to State Pension Age that they can apply to renew their claim and get both PIP and SP.

Will she receive a letter sometime in the next year to begin a claim for PIP and if so around when should she expect it? If not when should she apply for a renewal of her claim?

Thanks.

Comments

• Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

Will she receive a letter sometime in the next year to begin a claim for PIP and if so around when should she expect it? If not when should she apply for a renewal of her claim?
    She could receive the renewal invitation any time in the next 12 months.

My wife reaches SP age in May.  Has PIP award to September.  Got her renewal invite around October last year with a month to submit return; which was done mid November.  We are still waiting to hear a result or if a health professional assessment is needed.  She did get a text recently saying they it is 'under review' or similar.

Once SP kicks in and one has a PIP award, I believe future reviews should be 'lighter touch' under current guidelines but as ever those can be subject to change.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    She doesn't need to "reclaim" PIP because she's already claiming it. Reviews usually take place about 8 months before the award is due to end. She will be sent review forms to fill in an return with all her information and any additional supporting evidence. 

She should expect another assessment as most people have them and they are mostly by phone, some are still face to face. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback