Extra protection for induction hobs?

Options
RHemmings
RHemmings Posts: 3,473 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
Is there something that I could put on an induction hob to protect it? I am thinking something of the equivalent isherwood function to a phone screen protector, but for induction hobs. My reasoning is that I find myself using the hob as a work surface, and I would prefer to protect it more if I can. 

Edit: Oh, as soon as I post that I find some. Can people please tell me if they have used them, and how well they worked? 

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not really. Just stop using it as a work surface. It's not intended for that purpose.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A friend uses one similar to this  -other brands/retailers probably available!    https://www.hartsofstur.com/bake-o-glide-induction-hob-protector-standard-hob590.html?refSrc=49820&nosto=productpage-nosto-3
  • FFHillbilly
    FFHillbilly Posts: 447 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    they are quite hard and will stand up to pans ok, the glass is harder than the pans so they don't scratch easily.
    but really this simplest option for you would be to buy a separate chopping board and use that as a work surface instead.
  • RHemmings
    Options
    I'm not using it as a chopping board, but tend to use it for plates when preparing food. My kitchen is small and I need to organise myself more as a lot of the work surface is covered by 'stuff', which I need to rationalise and cut down on. But, effectively 'plating up' on unused parts of the hob is going to remain convenient even if I manage to clear things more. I don't think that plates are likely to scratch the hob much, but if I could cover the hob with a protective layer, then I'd feel happier. 

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,977 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You can buy silicon covers from the likes of Amazon.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How do these covers manage to indicate the accurate heating positions? 
  • RHemmings
    edited 17 March at 9:16AM
    Options
    How do these covers manage to indicate the accurate heating positions? 
    I'm also wondering this. Lifting the cover to look would be a bit inconvenient. The one linked above looks as if it might be a lattice or mesh shape, in which case it would be possible to see through the gaps. My hob is simple with only three 'rings', so it would probably still be easy to get the position right. But, being able to see markings would definitely be a plus. 

Most of the time I only use one ring - the biggest one at the back. A small cover over the side two rings would give me space to work while not covering up what I need to see. I note that the listings linked above say that the cover can be cut to size. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Family have had their induction hob for a decade and constantly use very heavy cast iron pans and there are no notable scratches. Unless you have OCD level issues with micro scratches your probably buying a product that will do nothing other than make you feel better.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback