Dog Insurance - does pet insurance follow the person OR the individual dog?

Options
Hello,

Sorry if silly question!!

If there has been pet insurance claims on Dog No:1 and then in the future I get another Dog No:2 (puppy e.g Cocker Spaniel).

Would my premium for Dog No:2 be more expensive due to Dog No:1?

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    As I understand it they are different policies for the different dogs.  The only time there might be a difference if there's a discount for 2 dogs at the same time rather than 2 dogs at different times.  Kinda the same way you get a multi car discount or a discount because you have home and car insurance from the same provider.  Each judged on it's own merit and then a (small) discount applied for your loyalty.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,143 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
     Age and breed affect the premium  so  the cost for dog 2 would depend if the second was the same breed as the dog 1,and how much loading the company did on age , if dog2 was younger or older. 

The premium for dog 1  will not be affected. If the dogs were insured with different companies each company would have no knowledge of the other dog. 

Many companies give a joint policy if you insured with the same company.

You can get quotes online without any obligation to buy. So you can check for yourself what costs would be.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback