We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Garden slab issue

Options
gadget88
gadget88 Posts: 206 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited 16 March at 10:17AM in Gardening
So I replaced it with a brand new one need quick advice would someone coming along with a “weathered” slab cut to shape solve this issue or would it still mismatch? I fear I may spend it all replacing it with driveway and I don’t want to power wash these 

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,644 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Looks like it is upside down. The pattern and colouration does not match the old slabs.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 16 March at 11:53AM
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    Looks like it is upside down. The pattern and colouration does not match the old slabs.
    It's just a new concrete flag that hasn't the pimples removed by ware and the colouration of age
    and the existing ones are likely to be roughly 20 years old
  • Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I work in the trade.. it's almost impossible to match on old slab with a new one.
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 16 March at 12:11PM
    Options
    gadget88 said:
    So I replaced it with a brand new one need quick advice would someone coming along with a “weathered” slab cut to shape solve this issue or would it still mismatch? I fear I may spend it all replacing it with driveway and I don’t want to power wash these 
    Is there any local authority depots
    near by who may have old flags from footpaths that have been renewed or utility companies ex footpaths may also be a possibility with broken flags replaced.Would require handyman to fit as there doesn't same to be any joints it would require great accuracy when cutting and by it size it would not stand up to a vehicles weight.
    The older flag adjacent doesn’t appear to be a standard width 0.6M x 0.6M plus the old flag may be imperial in width

• gadget88
    Options
    Would a weathered slab match or would I be wasting my money?
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,517 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    gadget88 said:
    Would a weathered slab match or would I be wasting my money?
    It would depend entirely on the specific slab - you'd have to go look at it... 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Options
    Possibly worth a visit to reclamation yards as well as that has worked for me previously when trying to match some old roofing tiles and they certainly had piles of slabs. Just depends how lucky you are. 
  • gadget88
    Options
    Silly question but would a weathered slab from my back garden work?
  • gadget88
    Options
    I replaced one from back. Almost exact match. When it was cut it left some white marks how long will this take to weather? When it rains you can’t see
    it but it looks different in dry weather some blotches due to the cut? 
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I expect your current slabs have been weathering for more than twenty years...You can try the yoghurt trick if you want but they will take as long to weather as the original slabs did.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback