Irresponsible lending?

Options
Doobedoobedoo
Doobedoobedoo Posts: 9 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post
My adult son is struggling with his mental health and addiction. He lost his minimum pay job 4 months ago and haven't worked since, although he is trying hard to get another job. He gets £70 a week universal credit. He gets food and home with me. I refuse to give him money. I don't really have any to give but I will not fund his addiction. 

I found out that his bank has steadily increased his overdraft to £3000! As if that isn't enough, another bank has given him an account with an overdraft!
How can banks do this? Surely this is irresponsible lending? I am not trying to absolve my son of responsibility, definitely not but I thought after the banking crash that banks were supposed to be a bit more discerning in who they loan money to?

Comments

• Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    How are they supposed to know their customer has an issue unless you approach them? 
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    My adult son is struggling with his mental health and addiction. He lost his minimum pay job 4 months ago and haven't worked since, although he is trying hard to get another job. He gets £70 a week universal credit. He gets food and home with me. I refuse to give him money. I don't really have any to give but I will not fund his addiction. 

I found out that his bank has steadily increased his overdraft to £3000! As if that isn't enough, another bank has given him an account with an overdraft!
    How can banks do this? Surely this is irresponsible lending? I am not trying to absolve my son of responsibility, definitely not but I thought after the banking crash that banks were supposed to be a bit more discerning in who they loan money to?
    Do you know what information the banks have that they based their lending decisions against?
  • prettyandfluffy
    prettyandfluffy Posts: 729 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Spies said:
    How are they supposed to know their customer has an issue unless you approach them? 
    I would have thought his income dropping to £70 per week UC might have raised some questions,
  • Doobedoobedoo
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Spies said:
    There was no money went into his bank from mid November until Mid February when he got £280 from Department of Work and Pensions. I think that would indicate there was a cash flow problem. 🤔 
  • Spies
    Options
    Spies said:
    I would have thought his income dropping to £70 per week UC might have raised some questions,
    They don't monitor accounts closely, how would they know what he might be receiving in another bank account?
  • Doobedoobedoo
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Spies said:
    Spies said:
    They don't monitor accounts closely, how would they know what he might be receiving in another bank account?
    That's kind of my point. Surely NOT monitoring the accounts they are offering the loan on, is irresponsible? 
  • Doobedoobedoo
    Options
    @Grumpy_chap no, I don't know. All I know is that the overdraft was increased in increments of 2-3 hundred at a time, from £300 to £3000. 

• Doobedoobedoo
    Options
    My query isn't just about my son. This will go one of two ways for him. He will get a job and slowly pay it back, probably agreeing a payment plan via CAB or similar...or he won't! He will not get another job, he will not get out of the fix he is in at present and the banks will not get their money because he will have none to give. 
    Is that what we consider responsible lending? 

• Spies
    Options
    All the institution can do is come back with a reasonable payment plan, if you're unhappy with the decision you can complain to the financial ombudsman. 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,765 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    With regards to the second account and overdraft, it is possible that your son was not entirely accurate in the application with regards to his earnings. I don’t remember anyone checking that the last time I opened an account. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback