Universal Credit Phone Call Worry

Options
Could anyone tell me what this means please? "Not providing care". I am a carer to my father and this sounds like I'm being questioned regarding it.

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Does your father claim a qualifying disability benefit?  If so, does anyone else claim Carers Allowance or the carer element of UC for caring for him?
  • scaniajess
    scaniajess Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My father is on the high rate DLA and i claim carers allowance for looking after him 35+  hours a week
  • Lindlou
    Lindlou Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you been doing any work at all? 
    Never, ever give up........
  • scaniajess
    scaniajess Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No not at all
  • Lindlou
    Lindlou Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    No idea then. I would wait and see what is said but if you are still caring, your father is receiving qualifying benefits, you haven't been working and you don't have Capital you haven't declared,  I wouldn't worry too much. 
    Never, ever give up........
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,008 Forumite
    Options
    It would be as well to have prepared for the call by having a list of all your savings and assets, and some details about the amount of time you spend caring for your father. It might help to review the descriptors for Personal Independence Payments (PIP). Although your father claims DLA and not PIP, the descriptors for PIP might help you think about all the different ways in which you care for your father.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,474 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Is it possible that someone else has also tried to claim for him? If they had, it would flag and they would want to establish who was genuinely caring for him and who was making a bogus claim. 

The capital part is to check that they have your assets recorded correctly. If you owned a house you did not live in, this would cause a problem. Regular updates should be provided to them for any period that your savings are between £6,000 and £16,000, if this applies and they haven't received one for a while then they will want to check as the exact amount between these makes a difference as to how much UC you are paid. 

If you are under 6K, then they probably just want to check that that this still the case while calling to establish the position as regards to caring. It can feel very guilty until proven innocent, unfortunately.
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you an ISA?
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,837 Forumite
    Options
    The telephone compliance call does not mean that they have picked up any data regarding capital or had any information about someone else caring,  It just means that these are two aspects of the claim that they are wanting to check with you.

DWP have recruited a large number of checking agents who are employed to ensure that the benefit claims are based on accurate information.  And following the call, you may be asked to provide copies of Bank statements etc.

Failing to take part in the call and provide any information requested could lead to suspension of your claim.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,474 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    huckster said:
    The telephone compliance call does not mean that they have picked up any data regarding capital or had any information about someone else caring,  It just means that these are two aspects of the claim that they are wanting to check with you.

Totally agree as regards to capital, however the wording ‘not providing care’ suggests that something is wrong/an accusation is being made. If they were just checking, they should have said providing care or care provided.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback