Amazon Prime unwanted accidental membership

Options
ConsumerWarrior
ConsumerWarrior Posts: 84 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 18 March at 1:17PM in Praise, vent & warnings
I just wanted to highlight that although I am moderately savvy with on-line goods ordering I fell foul of accidental acceptance of Amazon Prime membership while ordering some optics. Although free UK delivery was already incorporated in this sale I had not realised that Prime membership was already selected by default.   An £8.99 cc transaction was notified to me by email within seconds and I hadn't even completed and paid for my order yet. My CC details were stored on Amazon previously so they processed the Prime membership without any input from me. Prime seems to be a separate group to the main Amazon sales.
I cleared my basket and cancelled Prime straight away, they then sent an email saying the Prime was cancelled and the fee will be refunded (in 30 days after they gain interest on that) seeing as I haven't used that service.
I'm not saying Amazon is in the wrong, the onus is on the buyer to ensure everything is correct before ordering however I found their point of sale pages messy and confusing, you really do have to take your time.
Lastly I re-made the order taking advantage of free delivery but ensuring that Prime membership wasn't selected .
Just saying, so be careful.

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    On the basis it wasn't a free trial that would suggest you have been a member in the last 12 months, don't know if that was another accident or an intentional sign up last time. 

Given there is no question this may be better off in the Praise, Vents and Warnings forum. 
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Many threads about Amazon Prime membership.
    Here's a recent one:
    Amazon Prime Forced on me! — MoneySavingExpert Forum
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The last time I tried to place an order on the website, it was impossible to do so without accepting the trial (I wasn’t sure it had been a year since I last had one to avoid it being a paid membership.) I had to use the app to order instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure