🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

No insulation (and no space for it) = damp

Options

Comments

• MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    My house has this sort of roof. The blurb called it 'galleried ceilings', it's 1908.
    When we moved in in 1883 the ceilings were black with mould in 4 of the bedrooms, mostly behind 1950's style hardboard built-in wardrobes. 
    We striped out the wardrobes and installed an airbrick in each bedroom and the problem has never returned even in the rooms which are largely unheated. I thought the airbricks would be drafty but TBH I don't even notice them now
    We still have airbricks in each room but they make no difference
    We also use an electrical dehumidifier every time that we have a shower
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Photo, MOD?
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,885 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My house has this sort of roof. The blurb called it 'galleried ceilings', it's 1908.
    When we moved in in 1883 the ceilings were black with mould in 4 of the bedrooms, mostly behind 1950's style hardboard built-in wardrobes. 
    We striped out the wardrobes and installed an airbrick in each bedroom and the problem has never returned even in the rooms which are largely unheated. I thought the airbricks would be drafty but TBH I don't even notice them now
    Are you saying that you get damp on the ceiling/walls after it rains?  How about when it's cold and dry?

No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • MouldyOldDough
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    Are you saying that you get damp on the ceiling/walls after it rains?  How about when it's cold and dry?

No - we get condensation on the ceiling on the outside 2 or 3 feet when it is cold - the roof itself is fine
    I never mentioned rain...
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Insulated p'board, applied directly to the underside of your sloping roof = cure.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,885 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 March at 2:34PM
    Options
    GDB2222 said:

No - we get condensation on the ceiling on the outside 2 or 3 feet when it is cold - the roof itself is fine

Ah, you said: "We also use an electrical dehumidifier every time that we have a shower", and I misunderstood what you meant! :)
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • MouldyOldDough
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    GDB2222 said:

Ah, you said: "We also use an electrical dehumidifier every time that we have a shower", and I misunderstood that! :)

Ha Ha - no I meant a shower in the bathroom !!
  • MouldyOldDough
    edited 20 March at 12:14PM
    Options
    Here are photos of the mould, showing the sloping ceiling - with no insulation (or space for insulation) above the sloping bit.. the mould lines up with beams above
    As can be seen - an airbrick

• ian1246
    ian1246 Posts: 237 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 March at 12:17PM
    Options
    As others have said... insulated plasterboard is the answer.

Basically any moisture in your room is condensing on the coldest surface - the sloping bit, causing the mold.

By insulating it, it ll be less cold & therefore less condensation/mould. Remove the existing plaster & plaaterboard, apply new insulated plasterboard - you'll loose a few inches in height but should solve the problem.

Make sure the insulated plasterboard has a vapour barrier so no vapour gets through to the timber of the roof - and tape the edges of the plasterboard etc... to where it joins the rest of the ceiling/wall to maintain the vapour barrier.
  • MouldyOldDough
    Options
    ian1246 said:
    As others have said... insulated plasterboard is the answer.

Basically any moisture in your room is condensing on the coldest surface - the sloping bit, causing the mold.

By insulating it, it ll be less cold & therefore less condensation/mould. Remove the existing plaster, apply new insulated plasterboard - you'll loose a few inches in height but should solve the problem.

You mean on the inside of the ceiling ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport