Insuring Motorbike away from home

Options
Hi,

has anyone got any experience with insuring their motorbike away from home. I am looking to move house, but the house I am moving to is rural and there will be no place to keep the bike in a garage or even a shed. I was therefore planning to keep it in either the in laws garage or my mums garage. 

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? Does it affect your premium much? 

Thanks

Comments

• Cit6
    Cit6 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    No experience but all search sites ask where the vehicle will be kept if not at the policy holders address. Try both options and see
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    For Car it tends to increase it because you won't be around to notice/hear someone attempting anything and may not notice something has happened for a few days or more resulting in further damage/attempts etc. 

Never looked at Motorbike pricing so dont know if the impact of keeping it in a locked garage is sufficient to offset the detriment of having it away from the home. 
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would get a quote for home, plus mums etc.
    I used to insure my bike at my dad’s around 5 miles away as was kept in his garage.
    2 years later my broker asked why my car and bike were at different addresses.
    When I explained he said let me check how much the bike would be at my house without a garage.
    Was £10 a year more. Well worth the extra £10, to save a 10 mile round trip to use my bike.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback