Storing a car long term

Options
B0bbyEwing
B0bbyEwing Posts: 1,214 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
For storing just read 'keeping but not using' as I suppose some of you will think I'm talking about lock-ups or garages or whatever whereas I'm talking about on my driveway.

We probably should drop down to 1 car really as we don't need a second, it's just handy to have one.
* When one goes in to the garage for repairs/MOT etc - allows to still get to work without any drama (don't talk about buses & taxi's).
* When OH's work places them elsewhere from time to time (really not often at all but happens. A train can be used in this case for one placement & I think they can turn down the request for further away placements if they're without car).
* When OH is on annual leave & fancies going to X, Y & Z. In this case a bus would be an option but probably they would not bother which would save the $p£nd$.

So I was considering getting rid of my car. A quick scan on the second hand market puts them around the £1,500-£2,500ish area.
Problem is the obvious issues - lacquer peel on the front & rear for starters. 

The car is just an A-B motor to me used for work so I don't really care for paint jobs. I've other things to spend money on.
I also have little patience for chancers. Dealing with Marketplace people has certainly tested my patience (trying to sell say £100 items for £10 to get rid only for "will you take £5 mate"? No I wont, I'm already basically giving it away!!!). 
So as said, I've no patience for someone saying well that's a £1,499 paint job so I'll give you £1 for your car & then a year later I see them driving around the area with the paint job not having been done anyway.

So I'm considering just keeping it as a backup for just in case purposes. Rather that than deal with chancers. 

Just like to know what I would need to be doing with it so that come 12 months time (for example) I don't go to get it MOTd & used and it just spills its guts everywhere or something.

Comments

• WellKnownSid
    WellKnownSid Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Use the car once a week on a decent journey that gets the engine up to temperature and keeps the disks clean.  Use it as a road test opportunity to spot any issues.  Job done.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 15 March at 11:23AM
    Options
    There have been lots of periods for us when we could have survived on one car but apart from a brief period about 30 years ago when money was tight and mortgage rates were rocketing we have chosen to keep two cars running because, as you say, it's much more flexible for a host of reasons.

The key is to balance the mileage as much as possible and make sure each car is used for something every few days. Cars keep better if they are used. Your header i don't think is relevant to what you are asking.

Because each car's mileage is lower (around 6k in our case) I think I can get away with routine services every 15 months. Obviously time dependent issues like cambelts and brake fluid still get done on time basis. Tyre choice is done on mostly braking ability because wear isn't an issue and rotating them means a set lasts 6 years.

For mots, they are what they are. I get advisories and deal with them. Just replaced two indicator bulbs because the inspector said the amber bulbs had turned yellow!
  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 March at 8:25AM
    Options
    It's not good leaving a car unused even if you take lots of precautions.
    Those precautions have a cost and so will recommissioning it again.

Rubber bits perish, anything untreated rusts, treated bits also rust, oil in meant to circulate in the engine, seals dry out and split.
    Additives drop out of the coolant and rusts the engine and coolant system from the inside out.
    Brakes seize, brake fluid is hydroscopic and attracts water so can rust from the inside, fuel goes stale, electrics get damp, the list is endless.

Ok you might not suffer all of it, but it will all want looking at before you use it again.

I've stored a few vehicles over the years and no matter what I learnt along the way and tried to protect, something/s else always crops up.

Lets say you park it up somewhere fairly dry on it's wheels, you'll likely need a new set of tyres.
    If they don't perish, they'll flat spot. What's the cost of that to the value of it in 12 months time?

You could stick it on an old second hand set of wheels and tyres and try and keep the good ones for later, but if the old ones start to perish, you even worse off as you've two bad sets.

Right then, stick it on axle stands might be the answer, then all the suspension hangs and your bushes get stretched, parts like the shock rods that are usually pumped about in the oil are exposed and start to rust etc.

You might get away with all that to find something like the gearbox output shaft seals have dried out and hardened so the moment you start to drive it again it pees gearbox oil out.

I would say due to it's value it's worth the hassle of selling it if you plan to leave it 12 months or so.
    If it's a chance of becoming a modern classic anytime soon, they perhaps store it but expect to pay to protect it and again to recommission it. 

If you are going to keep it on the road as a back up, it needs using regularly.
    A good trip out once a fortnight to keep things moving and the fuel fairly fresh.
    A solar trickle charger should keep the battery in good shape.

And keep if clean, particularly the areas that trap mud and dirt.
    Make sure all the drains are free, like the scuttle drains so water doesn't hang around.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get a few bags of silica gel desiccant and put them inside to try and prevent damp (and mould- mould is the enemy, it is better to spend £50 on desiccant than £150 trying to get rid of mould)

The calcium chloride ones work better, but they can spill a solution that never ever dries- because it continually absorbs water like it is supposed to.....
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 March at 10:43AM
    Options
    How far away are you from a car rental place? You may find that what you'd pay to rent a car for a few days a year is less than the cost of keeping a spare car available, plus you'd get £1500-2500* in cash.

It may be worth treating the 'spare' car as unavailable for a month and see if you feel inconvenienced by it. You'd probably need to take it for a spin to keep the battery topped up once a week or so though.

Beyond that if you do need to keep 2 cars, then try to split the mileage where you can, service them more often than the schedule because both will end up doing super low mileage.

*Which means this is a pretty old car since it's virtually impossible to find a car that's not an MOT failure for under £1500 now. Is it going to have any big bills coming up? What condition is it in structurally and mechanically?

• B0bbyEwing
    Options
    Thanks for the input. 

I'm currently alternating days where each car is used so that they get use. 

There's be no point in using the car once per week in my question because it'd still need to be taxed & have MOT & insurance (I know I'd be risking that last one by not having it even if it's parked on the drive). 
    If I was using it once per week then I may as well keep as I am because I'm saving no money. 

Right now the tax on both is about 250, the insurance on both is about 300, so that's 1100 before we even talk about maintenance. 

Keeping a second car just for the few times a year when it's handy to do so is probably not worth £550+

But then I've also had it with Marketplace chancers wanting something for nothing. 
  • Arunmor
    Arunmor Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Just wait for your next insurance quote, that might give you a bit more focus!  :D
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’d get the brake fluid changed if it hasn’t been done recently, same for antifreeze, give a good run as it’s last drive and get the brakes nice and hot, then park it up with some desiccant stuff to stop condensation and with the handbrake off, just chock the wheels with bricks. I’d roll it forwards and back every now and then so it not always on the same spot on the tyres and keep them inflated. Also try to leave it with as little petrol as possible in the tank so when you want to start it again the old stuff is well diluted. Either keep the battery on a conditioner, or resign yourself to buying a new one when you use it next.

Chances are it will be fine.
  • B0bbyEwing
    Options
    Arunmor said:
    Just wait for your next insurance quote, that might give you a bit more focus!  :D
    Just had it in January. up £100 over last year. 
    Seems many have had an increase of £100. Wife, mother, sister, a number of people at work - all up by approx £100.

And with the mention of petrol - it's a diesel.

Also from reading the responses I'm getting the vibe that storing long term is probably not going to be such a great idea after all & I'll have to either a) use it or b) sell it but deal with the annoying chancers.
  • Rich1976
    Rich1976 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could always try We Buy Any Car. I know they always offer lower than what they’ve quoted online generally but it means the car is off your hands and the money in your bank very quickly. It also means you don’t need to deal with ‘Chancers’
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback