The booking fee nonsense is spreading -- but why?

Options
More and more places now seem to add a 'booking fee' without a second thought when they could surely just as easily put ticket prices up is they need to charge more. It doesn't make sense. My lical theatre/cinema charges a booking fee even when you do to the box-office in person to buy a ticket. Cineworld add £0.95 to every ticket - however you chose to buy. Then they run ads saying "two tickets for a tenner" when it is actually £11.90. These are just two examples. No third parties taking a slice of their money. What a cheat. 

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,460 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    tommyzulu said:
    More and more places now seem to add a 'booking fee' without a second thought when they could surely just as easily put ticket prices up is they need to charge more. It doesn't make sense. My lical theatre/cinema charges a booking fee even when you do to the box-office in person to buy a ticket. Cineworld add £0.95 to every ticket - however you chose to buy. Then they run ads saying "two tickets for a tenner" when it is actually £11.90. These are just two examples. No third parties taking a slice of their money. What a cheat. 
    Cineworld doesn't charge a booking fee in cinema both according to their website and from frequent visits to one of their cinemas 

In my mind it really depends what you are buying and if it's sold only via the company itself or via third parties too. If the thing is sold via multiple retailers it makes a nice change that you can see what the "true" price is any so how much someone is adding/removing. If not you've no idea if seat 32F has as good a view as 30JJ if the later is £20 more expensive but could be a better view or just a higher margin. 

To be honest I'd love for things to go the other way, some form of formal price for everything based on quality and vendors having to display it and the price they're charging. Make it much easier to workout if I am paying more for better quality or paying for a brand name... the later isn't a problem if you want that sort of thing but the openness would be refreshing. 
  • in_my_wellies
    in_my_wellies Posts: 1,647 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 March at 11:37AM
    Options
    I recently visited wildlife centre. A walk which was of interest was just about to start and although there were spaces I was unable to buy a ticket at the desk. I had to go through the booking centre. Signal was so poor I was unable to do this so I couldn't join in the walk. So the charity lost out on two paying customers (£36ish)

However, I did notice that the booking fee was for every ticket, not one fee for the total booking, so a little more than 10% added to every ticket. Why not just add the 10% to every ticket - it wouldn't annoy people!
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    £36 that's inflation, used to only be a dollar and an a half to visit a tree museum.

Curtesy of Joni Mitchell's,Big Yellow Taxi.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback