R40 form - help please

Options

Hi,

Can anyone advise re. the R40 form in particular section 3?  I had a PPI claim payment from Halifax in January 2020 after referring to the Financial Ombudsman.

I have the guidance notes etc but I don’t know what to put in this section.  I have 2 ISA savings account with Halifax do I need to put information about these in this section?

Apologies, but I just don’t understand the form.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You don't enter PPI refunds on an R40.

PPI refunds aren't taxable and no tax was deducted from them.

Do you mean the statutory interest paid alongside the PPI refund?

You have to declare ALL taxable income on an R40 so untaxed interest would have to be declared (unless from a Cash ISA).
  • Lond2009
    Lond2009 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.  Sorry i wasnt clear - yes I want to claim back the tax on the interest paid on a PPI claim.

I have the final response letter from Halifax which I will submit with the R40 form and i will add a covering letter its just section 3 the re. the savings. 

Perhaps i should call HRMC -  has anyone done this?
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Lond2009 said:
    Thanks for the reply.  Sorry i wasnt clear - yes I want to claim back the tax on the interest paid on a PPI claim.

I have the final response letter from Halifax which I will submit with the R40 form and i will add a covering letter its just section 3 the re. the savings. 

Perhaps i should call HRMC -  has anyone done this?
    What do you mean by "its just section 3" 🤔

Back in 2020 when you originally asked about this you said you were a basic rate taxpayer so there would be other entries needed on the R40, it's not just to declare taxed interest!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback