Venture Capital Trust (VCT), how to buy?

Options
2»

Comments

• mostwelcome
    mostwelcome Posts: 46 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    People are telling OP they have to approach the registrar or the fund manager, I am just pointing out that is not the only way to do it and there are services that are more user friendly :)
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    People are telling OP they have to approach the registrar or the fund manager, I am just pointing out that is not the only way to do it and there are services that are more user friendly :)
    Ahh, I see.  Then yes, definitely. I'm really only talking about it from an administrative perspective rather than a UX perspective.  In which case, you are absolutely right, there are more routes than just what was mentioned, they just fundamentally do the same thing from an admin perspective.  This stems from the fact that VCT applications have to get to the registrar one way or another in order to qualify for the tax relief, so ultimately people get to choose whether to approach the registrar themselves or via an intermediary of some sort who will approach the registrar on their behalf. That can be a platform, an execution-only adviser, an advised service, a private bank, etc, but ultimately they will all do the same thing - fill in an application form and send it to the registrar.
    I don't think we have any actual disagreement here, I think we're just approaching the question from two different angles.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • mostwelcome
    mostwelcome Posts: 46 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @Aegis cool, cool :) agreed

@Janin1992 be interested to hear what you decide to do. Hope this has been helpful! All the best and shout if more questions 👍
  • Janin1992
    Janin1992 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you all for the helpful information. I am reporting back on the progress. I applied to 4 different VCTs via Wealth Club and decided to invest a lower amount of £24K this year split between VCTs just to get a feel of how VCTs operate. During the application process, there's a query regarding whether I prefer to receive a share certificate directly or through CREST. I currently don't have a CREST account. Would it be advisable to consider opening one in the future?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback