PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Unpaid shared gas account.

Options
Hello,

As a condition of renting my flat I had to agree to the gas bill being shared between two flats.
So my and my neighbour's names are on the account.
He has since moved out without paying his share of the bill.
I have sent emails to him about the account which he has not replied to.
He seems to have disappeared.

I have contacted the gas supplier OVO and explained this, I am willing to pay my share, but there seems to be nothing that they can do.
The total amount is about £900 so my share is £450.
The landlord says it is nothing to do with him.

What should I do?

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Timislov said:
    Hello,

As a condition of renting my flat I had to agree to the gas bill being shared between two flats.
    So my and my neighbour's names are on the account.
    He has since moved out without paying his share of the bill.
    I have sent emails to him about the account which he has not replied to.
    He seems to have disappeared.

I have contacted the gas supplier OVO and explained this, I am willing to pay my share, but there seems to be nothing that they can do.
    The total amount is about £900 so my share is £450.

What should I do?

You have gotten in to a mess here. I would never agreed to such s set up. 

You are both equally liable for the whole amount and if they cant find him they can demand you pay in full. 
  • thegreenone
    thegreenone Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 14 March at 2:41PM
    Options
    Small Claims Court?  Not sure if they can issue against him if you don't have an address but might be worth a look.  To suddenly find he has a CCJ might be a wake up call when he goes to rent somewhere else.  May not be this year but in the future.  Would also go against him if he wants a mortgage.  Small revenge.  
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As a condition of renting my flat I had to agree to the gas bill being shared between two flats

As presumably the landlord set the condition, and it is their tenant that has done a runner, then it is something to do with the landlord. Maybe not legally but they do have some involvement in the situation.

• theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,608 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The gas company are owed the money.  ALL the debt from either or both of you. A sensible creditor goes after the easiest person to get the £££ from, ultimately via court.  In OVO's shoes I'd go after you as they know your details and where you are.

They don't care about "shares".

Any info you can supply them about the other may help, albeit data protection issues.
  • Schwarzwald
    Schwarzwald Posts: 479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pay the full amount first.
    then try to recover the other share.
    do you have anything in writing?

• Timislov
    Timislov Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have the rental contract for my flat which states that the gas bill is shared between the two flats.
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Pay the full amount and take the other party to court yourself.

There should have been separate accounts. Ensure this happens for the next person who moves in.
  • Timislov
    Options
    There cannot be separate accounts because there is low gas pressure, so one meter has to cover the two flats.
    The same applies to the two downstairs flats as well, they share one account.
  • Timislov
    Options
    It was a condition of the rental that the gas account is shared.
    When I queried this the landlord told me that if there were any problems, he would sort them out his self. He now denies this.
    I have no proof of what he said.

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Timislov said:
    It was a condition of the rental that the gas account is shared.
    When I queried this the landlord told me that if there were any problems, he would sort them out his self. He now denies this.
    I have no proof of what he said.

So not in your tenancy agreement? Which means you cannot hold the landlord responsible. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback