BENEFITS HELP HAVE NO IDEA

Options
Hi following the breakdown of my marriage just over a year ago being forced out of my home & living in an area which is beautiful but not of my choice have been in a very bad place. However managed to get a job & have struggled by since day one last May. Aside from my other problems the job has caused serious issues also particularly stress anxiety & nerves. Now it is coming to a head as can’t pass their probation requirements clearly it’s not the right job for me at this time I realise that & will have to face up to this. However don’t know from a benefits point of view wether it is better that they sack me or I resign??? To give background live on my own, have a flat costing £700 month plus all the other costs of living. Also I am getting help for my mental issues from my GP & a work related organisation but could do with a lot more support to help turn that corner even thinking of looking for another job is a frightening thought at the moment. Can anyone help with my two questions:
1- What is the best way to approach leaving work so if needed can get support from the benefits system as totally naive about it.
2- good organisations to contact to help with my mental health issues 

Comments

• peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your option is Univeral credit. Depending on your circumstance depends on your claim.  You could use a benefit calculator to see what you may be get. 

For Job Seekers allowance you will have needed to paid two years of National Insurance.  You've not mentioned any employment prior to May. 

Speak to your Gp with regards your mental heath,  I know my Gp has a mental health team, so if they can refer within te surgery (I know not all gps have this service). 

Citizens Advice will be able to help you with both benefits and sign post you to a local mental health service.
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    peteuk said:

For Job Seekers allowance you will have needed to paid two years of National Insurance.  You've not mentioned any employment prior to May. 

That’s not quite correct . The way you’ve said it here makes it look like it’s any 2 years but it’s not. It’s tax years 2021/22 and 2022/23. I’m sure this has been pointed out to you previously. 

Same applies for New style ESA. 
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,431 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not an expert so if someone more knowledgeable than me says differently I'll defer to them, but as far as I understand for benefits it is generally better to be let go from your job than to leave voluntarily. 
    For UC you can be sanctioned for voluntarily giving up work without good reason, however if your GP would give you a fit note which accords with your reasons for leaving then it wouldn't be a problem. 
    But, if you have a health assessment for UC (Work Capability Assessment), being let go is still better because it shows that your employer decided you couldn't do the job any more, which carries a bit more weight than you choosing not to (even if not doing the job any more is the only option).

Any eligibility for UC will depend on your overall financial situation, you can do a benefits calculation to get an idea of how much you might be entitled to
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/
    https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/

If you do apply, now or later depending on your current income, make sure to have a fit note that covers the first day of your claim and that will help get the ball rolling for a WCA and any extra financial help that may arise as a result:
    If found to have LCW (limited capability for work) you will get the work allowance which means you can earn a certain amount which is ignored before they start making deductions for earnings
    If found to have LCWRA (LCW and work-related activity) you would be entitled to an extra nearly £400 per month, payable from the 4th month of your claim.

Criteria are here, although just so you know, for the effects of mental illness LCWRA is quite a high threshold
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/esa_criteria
    Longer read but worth it https://www.advicenow.org.uk/know-hows/employment-and-support-allowance-esa-activities-and-descriptors-and-substantial-risk
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,952 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 March at 5:44PM
    Options
    1)  I'd agree with Spoonie (for UC and/or a successful ESA award) that it is generally better to be let go from your job than to leave voluntarily. 

I'd also suggest you consider making an application for PIP:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/
    With help from your local advice charity.

2)  Try MIND
    https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/local-minds/
    If your GP can't refer to a support organisation / service
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    peteuk said:

That’s not quite correct . The way you’ve said it here makes it look like it’s any 2 years but it’s not. It’s tax years 2021/22 and 2022/23. I’m sure this has been pointed out to you previously. 

My point was there was no mention of employment prior to May.  So given the info, 2 yrs, 24 months or two tax years is a moot point.  No employment before May means no JSA
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,968 Forumite
    Options
    peteuk said:
    peteuk said:

My point was there was no mention of employment prior to May.  So given the info, 2 yrs, 24 months or two tax years is a moot point.  No employment before May means no JSA
    It's not just for the OP, it's a public forum and anyone can read the comments. We must make sure we give correct advice because there are so many people that rely on forums such as this because they are unable to go anywhere else for advice. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback