Settling direct after damaging someone’s car

Options
Advice needed please, I parked up today in a car park and opened the passenger door, it was so windy it blew into the next car and dented it. I did the right thing and left a note under their wipers as they were not in the car at the time. I took a picture of the dent and of car. The person has been in touch with me and has been quoted £370 to fix the dent. My excess is £350 and I’m concerned about my renewal increase if I claim. What should I do? If I settle direct what is to stop them claiming in future? Any help greatly appreciated, I have never claimed on insurance before and find everything very confusing. 

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You dont pay your excess on third party claims, only if you claim for your own damages. 

Ultimately nothing but the majority of people are fairly honest. My bigger concern is how they've managed to get a quote the same day as the incident happened? I'd be concerned random mate has said a price and it turns out to be much more expensive when they get to a bodyshop etc. 
  • queena1
    queena1 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks @DullGreyGuy yeah I was concerned about this too. I spoke to the woman who owns the car earlier and then she text tonight to say she’d sent picture messages to get quotes but was taking it in person tomorrow. 

So I wouldn’t have to pay an excess if I claim through insurance, but presumably would then have to pay increased car insurance? 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    queena1 said:
    So I wouldn’t have to pay an excess if I claim through insurance, but presumably would then have to pay increased car insurance? 
    No excess if you dont claim your own damages.

It is still a claim so will impact your NCD if it's unprotected and irrespective of your NCD it will increase your premiums for the next couple of years.  You are required to inform them of the incident anyway which would also increase your excess but most people "forget" to mention privately settled claims. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback