Filipino wife in uk

Options
Hello,

I have a girlfriend in Philippines, we are not married yet. She has Philippines passport and I have UK passport.

I was thinking of calling her on Marriage Visitor visa, get married in UK.
Once the marriage is done, send her back to Philippines and then apply for partner/spouse visa which will allow her to stay in UK for 2.5 years 

Question - do I have to send her back to her country after the marriage visitor visa expires? can we not apply for spouse visa while she is in UK?

Thanks 

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No. The guidelines say you can’t apply for another visa while on a marriage visitor visa.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    dipesh010 said:
    Hello,

I have a girlfriend in Philippines, we are not married yet. She has Philippines passport and I have UK passport.

Once the marriage is done, send her back to Philippines and then apply for partner/spouse visa which will allow her to stay in UK for 2.5 years 

Question - do I have to send her back to her country after the marriage visitor visa expires? can we not apply for spouse visa while she is in UK?

Thanks 
    As  you intend for her to stay in UK have you looked at the Fiance Visa?

Note that the requirements for visas  is changing in April 24.
  • dipesh010
    dipesh010 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sheramber said:
    dipesh010 said:
    Hello,

Thanks 
    As  you intend for her to stay in UK have you looked at the Fiance Visa?

Note that the requirements for visas  is changing in April 24.
    Correct - I will be applying for Fiance visa and I meet all visa requirements thats being affected in April 2024 

However do I have to go thought 2 visa process/types, first being marriage visa followed by Fiance Visa? 
    Can I not call her on a visa (not sure which one) and apply for Fiance Visa while she is in the UK? 

Thanks 
  • sheramber
    Options
    She gets a fiancé visa and comes to uk to marry within 6 months.

Once married she applies to extend her stay.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse 

If you’re applying as a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner

You must prove that:

• any previous marriages or civil partnerships have ended
    • you plan to marry or become civil partners within 6 months of arriving in the UK

You will not be able to work or study during your engagement.

You’ll need to apply for permission to extend your stay in the UK when you marry or enter into a civil partnership. If your application is approved, you’ll have the right to work or study in the UK.

• dipesh010
    Options
    sheramber said:

You must prove that:

• you plan to marry or become civil partners within 6 months of arriving in the UK

You’ll need to apply for permission to extend your stay in the UK when you marry or enter into a civil partnership. If your application is approved, you’ll have the right to work or study in the UK.

That website says:  
    • you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply
    It's been 8 months we been in the relationship - is this okay? of course we can always say we're in relationship for 2+ years. I don't think there is a way you can 100% proof this or home office can check this? 

What are the documents requirements in 2024? are they okay? 
    1. IELTS A1Certificate 
    2. TB Certificate 
    3. Finance requirement ( £38,700)
    4. Accommodation requirements 
    5. Relationship requirements (flight tickets, video calls, chats etc..)
    6. Criminal certificate - do I need this for the fiancé visa? 

Thanks
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dipesh010 said:
    That website says:  
    • you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply
    It's been 8 months we been in the relationship - is this okay? of course we can always say we're in relationship for 2+ years. I don't think there is a way you can 100% proof this or home office can check this? 
    I think you'll find they CAN check this, so unless you're both able to lie, convincingly, with the same story, independently, ie not in the same room while being questioned ...

A simple address address history for the last two years would just be the start.

I believe it's an offence to give immigration advice if you're not suitably qualified to do so. I'm not, and no-one on this board can prove they are. So read the official Home Office advice, and if you think you have a case, find a qualified solicitor and pay them for their support.

And here's the MSE advice: if you don't meet the requirements, save your money and either wait or find another way to be together.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • sheramber
    Options
    dipesh010 said:
    sheramber said:

You must prove that:

That website says:  

1. IELTS A1Certificate 
    2. TB Certificate 

Thanks
    That is for a partner or a spouse. 

Scroll down to the application as a fiance.

How long have you lived together in the 8 months of the relationship?

There are immigration advisers and you would be better to consult one of them to advise you on your situation. It is not just down to your income. 
  • dipesh010
    Options
    sheramber said:
    dipesh010 said:
    sheramber said:

You must prove that:

That website says:  

1. IELTS A1Certificate 
    2. TB Certificate 

Thanks

There are immigration advisers and you would be better to consult one of them to advise you on your situation. It is not just down to your income. 
    My girlfriend is living in Philippines at the moment and I went there once to see her and her parents. We stayed together for 2 weeks while I was there. Most of our communication is via video call  and chat. Do you think that would be okay? 
    I guess the fiancé visa won't ask that but when I apply for extension (FLR(M)) then I may have to provide that evidence? 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 March at 3:19PM
    Options
    dipesh010 said:
    sheramber said:
    dipesh010 said:
    sheramber said:

You must prove that:

That website says:  

1. IELTS A1Certificate 
    2. TB Certificate 

Thanks

My girlfriend is living in Philippines at the moment and I went there once to see her and her parents. We stayed together for 2 weeks while I was there. Most of our communication is via video call  and chat. Do you think that would be okay? 
    I guess the fiancé visa won't ask that but when I apply for extension (FLR(M)) then I may have to provide that evidence? 
    In no way would that count as living together for two years. I would expect as a minimum requirement you would at least be in the same country. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    dipesh010 said:
    That website says:  

On the website I was looking at that comes as part of a list 'You must be able to prove one of the following:' so perhaps alternatives on the list would better suit your situation.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure