Cat - third party insurance

Options
My Mum (84yo) has recently purchased a Macarthy Stone retirement flat. She does not rent the apartment - she paid market value for it. However the Manager on site is insisting she has third party insurance for her cat - a flat cat who doesn’t go outside of the apartment. The only insurance I can find for cats is health and she is not interested in that - any ideas if this is even a “thing”?? Thanks x

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I doubt you'll find it as the law treats cats differently to dogs, the Animal Act 1971 basically says cats are free spirits and owners are not liable for their actions nor can they commit trespass etc. 

Any TP liability insurance for a cat would most likely fall foul of FCA rules because you could never successfully claim on it.

Really should go back to first principles with the Manager... what are the risks they are concerned about?
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ask her insurance if it also covers cat.
    Or if she has pet insurance for cat, that may well cover 3rd party.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Are they talking about if a cat scratches someone?  If so I'd say the person should learn to keep their hands in their pockets.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • cooper2021
    cooper2021 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Ask her insurance if it also covers cat.
    Or if she has pet insurance for cat, that may well cover 3rd party.
    Her insurance just covers the cats health - I have searched everywhere and no insurance covers tp
  • cooper2021
    cooper2021 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Brie said:
    Are they talking about if a cat scratches someone?  If so I'd say the person should learn to keep their hands in their hands in their pockets
    Exactly! the cat doesn’t leave the flat so if it damage’s furniture or something like that then surely it’s mums issue cos it’s her furniture/carpet etc
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Does she have third party cover on house contents insurance?
    That should cover anything she was liable for.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback