Boiler Insurance - easy fix but being told "beyond economical repair" and boiler needs to be replace

Options
rincage
rincage Posts: 34 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
The fan unit in my Potterton Suprima 80l has failed according the the engineer. The parts needed are the fan unit and a seal for the fan unit. The fan unit is available as he rang Potterton (or Baxi as it is now?) whilst he was stood next to me. When he wrote up the diagnosis he said the seal won't really be needed, but added the part anyway to the write-up. The seal is this one I think. He said it was not avaialble as a Potterton part but is available as a British Gas part number 114948. 

Anyway the insurance company (or rather their sub contractor)  has since come back and said the seal is not available and therefore the boiler can't be repaired and needs to be replaced.

I find this daft that the boiler, which has been working fine for years, is going to be written off for the sake of a seal and I'm being asked to spend £100s instead (my insurance only covers £750 for the boiler, I would pay any additional amount plus fitting). Wondered if anyone has a second opinion in case I'm being fleeced? Thanks.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Will the engineer do the work if you pay for it rather than going through insurance?  It could still be far cheaper than a new boiler.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,856 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Obviously you need to carry out due diligence.
  • rincage
    Options
    Thanks both. Think I'm being conned here
     Going to complain to insurance firm first.
  • ThisIsWeird
    edited 14 March at 8:12AM
    Options
    Bear in mind that I doubt they will fit anything but genuine and 'new' parts - Ie, those still in production. And they won't (perhaps intentionally) search around for such discontinued parts elsewhere, fit NOS, etc. They will likely have their short list of suppliers of genuine new parts, and that's it.
    By all means make a complaint, but I suspect you'll struggle - unless you can demonstrate that the O-seal is still available from some normal plumbing wholesalers/manufacturers.
    Have you had to pay the 'call out' charge for this? If so, then perhaps try and recoup this (it can sometimes be done*), and then possibly cancel your contract as it's clearly reached the stage where they are 'struggling'. Then find a reputable local Gas Safe, and ask if they'll fit reconditioned, on the basis that they obviously won't warrant the part**.

*I had a service contract on my ol' GW combi when it sprung a leak. They came out, and the guy started going through the list of parts he'd 'need' to replace as their policy is to ensure no subsequent call outs within 3 months. This list included the pump, which had been replaced only 3 years previously, as it had been sprayed by some of the water. He then went, "Oops - due to boiler age, it's BER". I asked him to remove the pump from the list as it was clearly fine and still working, but he maintained he couldn't do this once added. They then sent me a £99 call-out fee. I complained, pointing out that most of the boiler had been replaced at some point, even the MainX, so it wasn't as functionally 'old' as they'd assumed. After a couple of emails, where I asked them to justify their decision using actual £alues, they coughed up. I fitted the new part myself, bought for £50-odd.

** I bought a reconditioned fan for in-law's even older GW, from an established seller on eBay. The quality was superb - silky smooth new bearings, and thoroughly cleaned up and repainted - like a new part.

So I wouldn't call it a 'con' as such, but just perhaps an eagerness to stick to their self-imposed rules, like they did on mine. Annoying indeed. Perhaps time to nurse your boiler onwards using a local GS as and when it's required?
  • rincage
    Options
    Thanks. Have made a complaint. The seal seems to be available from multiple places. Personally I'm suspicous this is fraudulant behaviour - as all to quickly I've been passed from the engineers (that have declared BER) asigned by the insureer to another firm who will "replace my boiler"
  • selondonman
    selondonman Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i also had the insurance company trying to play this trick 
  • ThisIsWeird
    Options
    How did it resolve?
  • rincage
    edited 16 March at 12:37PM
    Options
    Still trying to get this resolved. Rang them back on the 15th as not heard from them. They said they'd tried to call me but no answer so closed the complaint. What a load of rubbish. Told them they should have left a VM or texted me, not just close the complaint. They then said there was no option to leave a VM - even more rubbish!. Said I'm suspicous this is frauulaent and demanded they reopen the case - as not letting this go. They said they would and someone will get bak to me. No one has yet. Rang again this morning as still not heard anything. Told the story all over again - only to be told to ring back on Monday when the complainst team is back in.
  • rincage
    edited 16 March at 12:37PM
    Options
    How did it resolve?

Yes, interested to hear how your issue was resolved too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback